question

jumonville3

• Wire the lights to the PLC appropriately.
• The traffic lights signals should have a start and stop master switches
• The green lights should be ON for 60 seconds in each E-W or N-S directions.
• The orange/amber lights should turn on after 50 seconds and turn OFF with the green lights.
• This means the red lights should also stay ON for 60 seconds in each pair of directions.

what would the program look like, using productivity suite p2000

When starting on a homework exercise like this, I would recommend first assigning lights and switches to specific I/O locations. Then work on one requirement for the program at a time.

I have been trying many different ways and do not know which way is the best or even which way would work, I was using a drum sequencer

I attached a picture of the drum sequence, any help would be much appreciated I have been stuck, and this is just an assignment

Capture.PNG Capture 1.PNG

Last edited:
Old traffic lights used electromechanical drum sequencers, so that is a good basis.

You'll find that you will get a lot more help if you show what you've done already to see that you're putting an effort into it, rather than just asking for a solution to your homework.

Good luck! Programming is fun.

I have been trying many different ways and do not know which way is the best or even which way would work
There are often many ways to design a control for a specific application. In general, there is no single "best" way.
I was using a drum sequencer
That is a valid approach, although not necessarily the easiest for a novice.
You might also consider a timer with a preset value equal to the duration of one pass through the light cycle. Use the timer's accumulated value to turn the lights on and off.
You might try a state machine approach which uses a set of steps and transitions between steps. At each step you turn on a different set of lights. Transitions between steps could either be timed or in response to events. Events could be the presence of pedestrians or vehicles.
Be aware that once you have the lights wired correctly and a program in place to control them your instructor may ask you to modify your program to add features like pedestrian crossing steps where lights are red in both directions or vehicles in turning lanes or different light timing at different times of day. Try to design an approach that makes future modifications possible.

Your drum is progressively turning on all the lights. That wouldn't work too well at an intersection. Draw a time chart of which lights should be on in which time period. Imagine the traffic light. Then go back and modify your drum.

Your drum is progressively turning on all the lights. That wouldn't work too well at an intersection.

I think thats how they worked way back in the day, thats why we had to wait forever and a day at some lights.... now most (newer ones) use sensors but a drum would be a good learning tool