Tips for newbie to industry?

First, thanks you everyone for the great advice. This is a complete, and complex field so I don't expect to be the best at everything at this point in time, or that I ever will be, but I came into this telling myself I'd be the best I could be. Right now, that might not be much, but nothing better to get there than take it one day at a time, and learn from those who walked down the path before you.

You have to be careful, as some issues go deeper, even though they may seem obvious. One age old scenario that I've seen happen in real life is you have a hydraulic pump. The breaker to the pump keeps tripping. It'll run a few minutes and trip again. While the motor looks like it's bad, or a bearing is causing friction and high current draw, the real answer is just a dirty filter causing cavitation and drawing too much current on the load.

I had that (almost) very same issue a few weeks ago. Pump would run fine for 20 minutes then trip the VFD overload. While checking if path was clear, I came upon an analog flowmeter with a small green electrical tape notch, and the flow needle was well over the mark. Being the new guy that I am, I assumed (there we go again with the dirty words) that this meant "above this notch is good, below is bad".

Turns out the drive had been changed, and the parameters weren't put in correctly. Pump was supposed to be limited to 30 Hz, and running at 60 Hz drew sufficient current to trip the overload. 30 Hz caused the flowmeter's needle to point straight to the small green notch.

As far as tuning goes, you are taking the text books too literally. The text books are written for systems operating perfectly, in a vacuum, with no outside influence. You have to remember you are tuning a valve that's been in operation for years on end that have seen many operation cycles, seen many pressure and temperature swings, etc. Valve seats get tight or sticky, pneumatic operators gets worn, sometimes a 4-20 output to the operator isn't truly linear so you'll get bulges or dips midrange. Sometimes the wiring between the PLC and the device are very long and you'll have loss (IE the PLC outputs 12 milliamps, but the operator only gets 11). Text books are written for perfect conditions however the world is a very imperfect place. Tuning loops is as much an art as it is a science. Just as with troubleshooting, given time you'll get the "feel".

I had a feeling it was something like that. I greatly enjoy theory, but I feel that in this particular field, it sometimes comes up a bit short. This is a new career for me, but I'm actually 28, and before that, I was a lawyer. In that world, theory is quite a bit closer to reality, so I guess that's where I got this bad habit from.

In this case though, I have to ask : what is the purpose of the different methods we learn if the answer is going to be to do it by feel? What's the use of learning tuning methods if you're going to have to adjust them to imperfect operating conditions? Wouldn't it be simpler just to start with feel?

Something you should know is that troubleshooting like any skill takes time to learn. After I finished school I would say it took me about two years to be a good tech. I have also improved my skills since then and always will. Don't beat yourself up when you haven't finished school and have a month of work related experience. The fact that you desire to learn is enough to make you great at your job in the future. The tips I have for you is when solving problems don't think of the big picture(the whole machine) just think of the problem at handle, you do not need to know or learn the whole machine to fix it, just the circuit or part that is retaining to your problem. If you have a E-stop problem you don't need to know anything beside what effects that circuit. I know that sounds simple but I watch young techs get overwhelmed because of that type of thinking. I was the same way. The other thing I would recommend is when troubleshooting think KISS- Kept It Stupid Simple. If a machine doesn't run start with the simple things first. Do I have Power, Is there a tripped Breaker, is the E-Stop circuit made, is the start or stop button(s) making.

Best of Luck,

Thanks!

Honestly, most of the problems I come across are pretty simple and don't really need much in terms of corrective action. Usually, "turning it off and on again" is actually a pretty good guess.

I think one thing has been made clear by the posts in this thread, it's the small stuff that gets you. You can't take anything for granted until you've tested it.

3. Bill Mostia authors a book, Troubleshooting: A Technician's Guide, 2nd Edition, publisher is ISA. (Barnes & Noble $24. I get nothing, darn it).

It's not something you read in the middle of a crisis, it's a text you digest over time that provides strategies and tactics for troubleshooting. He mentions root cause analysis.

Just in time for Christmas. I love books, so I'm glad there's one on the subject.

The rest of the collection looks pretty tempting too. Do you have them? Care to share your opinion?

I would say that you should try to be the best operator in the plant... time and time again, knowing the available functions of the machine and what are reasonable (or correct) settings is a life saver.

With my limited experience, I would tend to agree. I have had a few problems where the machine just wasn't operated correctly. I could have saved a lot of time if I knew how it was supposed to be operated, rather than delving in the program (where every internal bit comes from a huge array of DINTs called...Bits, and with no comments to boot) to figure out where is the thing that doesn't work and how come it doesn't work.

I'm on shift during some of the holidays. If things don't catch on fire, I think I'll take an hour or two and go watch the operators. I don't really want to ask questions, I don't want to bother anybody, but just seeing the machines operated could help me out.

I would say that you should try to be the best operator in the plant... time and time again, knowing the available functions of the machine and what are reasonable (or correct) settings is a life saver.

I would expand that to "try to understand all the jobs (also people) you interface with".

In most companies, the barriers between job category A and job category B get fuzzier and fuzzier as time goes on. It really helps when you know what the other guy is expecting of you, but also how you can cover for him. You don't want to get taken advantage of and do someone's job for them all the time, but it is a very valuable skill to be able to perform tasks that aren't technically responsible for.

I'm on shift during some of the holidays. If things don't catch on fire, I think I'll take an hour or two and go watch the operators. I don't really want to ask questions, I don't want to bother anybody, but just seeing the machines operated could help me out.

Why not? Be respectful and show a genuine interest into what they are doing and why they do it this way rather than the other and they will be happy to tell you. That is valuable knowledge, and next time you get to work with them they will appreciate your interest and be more willing to share useful information. Apart from that, it just feels OK to me to at least have a chat and let them know you are not just there spying on them. They can have brilliant ideas on how to make things work better. After all they are working with it every day so if anybody knows, they do.