Red Lion Primitive "bleed"

Rube

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had this issue...

I have a Red Lion DSP with a multistate primitive and for ease of description, let's say I've set it up for only two states--"Idle" and "Running". When the primitive is commanded to go from Idle to Running, there is no issue but when it changes back to Idle, part of the word Running is still visible behind the word Idle.

Any ideas on how I should clean this up? I've used this setup before on Graphites and G315's and it happens on those units as well--not all the time but sporadically.

The way I fixed that issue in one case was to change pages (to a blank one) and change back with a program. I did it so quick that 95% of the time, you couldn't see the screen change, but it was a bit ugly and that 5% of the time the whole screen flashed. Later I think I got around it by toggling the visibility bit of the object containing the dynamic text. The flicker was rarely noticeable but at least it was not the whole page, just the one problem child item that flickered.

The most basic way to try to resolve it more cleanly is to pad the text of the shorter states to a similar length.

Another thing I have done once that cleared up this type of issue was to use the Figure tab and set the Fill Format to Solid with the tag background color (which may already be part of your object properties). This ensures that the area painted with the background color is always the same size and shape.

Last edited:
Thanks Paul...come to find out I had sized the primitive too small for the longest text that would be displayed. I widened the primitive and that fixed the issue.