Factory Talk SE & Screen Saver

lostcontrol

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

I am new to SE, but have worked with RSView32 & ME. I had a customer today that was reporting slow operations with the SCADA computer running SE.
After speaking to the users, and hearing their descriptions, and then trying to replicate the issue, it became evident that is was perhaps the screen saver causing the issue.
The screen-saver was set to 10min, when active, and then PC operation is requested, the PC resumes & displays the SE application with the last left screen & values.
If a screen change is requested, there are a couple of issues that occur, and not at the same time...
1. There is an unacceptable delay, which is almost a pause, changing screens after a navigation button is pressed
2. Values displayed are presenting a comms error, and take a while to be re-established.

I saw this happen, and simulated it by changing the screen-saver timeout to 1min, and got the result in 1.

As anyone witnessed this type of behaviour before? The other option is to just disable the screen saver, but does not solve the root-cause of the issue....

The current version is 5.00.00

I am new to SE, but have used ME & RSView32, what are the main differences between opening, developing & compiling & running applications, is there any similarities?
The environment looks identical, but there is also the 'local' & 'network' modes.

Bump...

Apparently this issue is still happening without the screen-saver even operating, so within the 60min.

This PC has 2x NIC's, 1 for PLC network, 1 for remote access from elsewhere on Business LAN & offsite support.
I have disconnected the connection to the business LAN, and also checked the power management settings of each NIC, they were both enabled, so I have disabled this & will see what tomorrow brings.

Any other suggestions?

edit: I notice the latest version of SE is 5.10.00, I need to check what the Linx version is, I doubt that this is the cause of the issues we are experiencing...?

Last edited:
I've had that happen anytime some application either sends FTView SE Client to the background, or is CPU intensive (like a crappy virus scanner). I've not found a good solution, except to run ONLY FTView SE (and Linx) on the HMI computers.

If a virus scanner is needed, I use ESET NOD32. It is very lightweight, and doesn't affect the foreground process.