Micrologix 1400 to Red Lion G304K cable pinout

krakenfan69

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am trying to communicate between a G304K and a ML 1400. I have the cable to send my program to the G304 but I was told the cable to communicate with the ML1400 is a week out. Can anyone help me with making a cable to get my program talking to the G304K?

Thanks,

Kraken Fan #69

Last edited:
Seriously? No one knows the pinout combo? I figured someone MUST have had that tracked down before i needed it! lol

Kraken Fan #69

Thanks but I have tried that and for the life of me that PDF and and the ones Red Lion has for their cables are just confusing the heck out of me. I was hoping to find a db9 pin to db9 pin diagram that I could copy.

I appreciate the reply though, have a great Easter!

Kraken Fan #69

Can I do ch 0 on the db9? If not then yes ch2 df1 over rs-232. Sorry if I am not making a bunch of sense. I just started in automation last Dec.

Thanks for any help/ideas!

Kraken Fan #69

I haven't used the ML1400 but looking at the manual, Channel 0 is the 8 pin mini din, Channel 1 is ethernet, and Channel 2 is the DB9 connector.

I have connected a G304K to a 5/05 Channel 0 (db9 rs 232) but I don't have my notes. I can run out to the machine and look to be sure how I wired it. I think the pin out of a SLC Channel 0 will be the same as the ML1400 (not 100% sure but would be surprised if it's different).

The DB9 on the Red Lion G304K is an oddball. It houses two serial ports.

My cable:
G304K              SLC Ch0
5------------------5
6------------------2
9------------------3

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. Perhaps I had it hooked up right after all and had the comms configured wrong. I had wondered about that but have been kinda "left to my own" on this one so I've been kinda stumbling my way through this project.

I don't believe a null modem cable will work on the G304K as it has a different Pinot.

I really appreciate the help.

Kraken Fan #69

Mickey the DB9 on the Red Lion G304K is an oddball. It houses two serial ports, so a null modem cable won't work.

My cable:
G304K              SLC Ch0
5------------------5
6------------------2
9------------------3

Sorry about that. I keep telling myself not to post about equipment I have never used, but do it anyway. I promise to have more discipline.

But every thing that I have used is now "Silver Series" ( kind of like my hair, whats left of it)

I deleted the post.

Last edited:
krakenfan69 said:
Perhaps I had it hooked up right after all and had the comms configured wrong.

I always test my comms before finishing assembly of the connector. 42% of the time I end up swapping Txd and Rxd on one end to make it work.
Crimson software is a different animal, so it is possible to have something wrong there too.

Can you post your cd3 file? (zip it first)

krakenfan69 said:
I had wondered about that but have been kinda "left to my own" on this one so I've been kinda stumbling my way through this project.

With PLCTalk, you're never really on your own.

Last edited:
Decided to be sick all weekend. Got to try the advice you guys gave me today and it worked great. Comms are up. Spent some time creating tags and I am getting some things to work! Pretty cool seeing your logic work as you had planned. Not quite as much fun but helpful all the same was seeing the stuff that wasn't working and then tweaking it to get the desired results. Now to just get the alarms working and then to put it in and start making sure things work in the actual system!

Thanks again,

Kraken Fan #69

P.S. I feel much better now. Migraines suck!

Sorry about that. I keep telling myself not to post about equipment I have never used, but do it anyway. I promise to have more discipline.
Hey Mickey, don't stop trying. 2/3 of my posts are wags, but there's plenty to be said for effort, even fruitless ones.

krakenfan69 said:
Now to just get the alarms working and then to put it in and start making sure things work in the actual system!

Alarms are a cakewalk in Crimson. Just pick the tag you want, and go to the alarms tab and set the fields. Pop-up help there is pretty good if you hover over each field or press F1. Note that that pop-up help may be turned off, so check your options. In some setups the alarm trigger value can be another tag or a complex expression (think moving alarm limits, rates of change, things like that) if you need to get real fancy with no extra PLC code. One of the nicest things I use a lot is the alarm delay. I still have certain alarm logic with PLC timers for things that absolutely must alarm and cause action with or without HMI comms. But, being able to delay the warning type stuff in the HMI without extra rungs of code is awfully handy.

Note the alarm viewer object and the alarm ticker objects in the resource pane as well as the event viewer. Working from memory, all alarms are also events. You get an event when an alarm becomes active, when it is ack'd (accepted) and when it clears. So you can use the alarm viewer object and set it up to show only current alarms, and use the event viewer to show a complete alarm history. You can also set up events which are not alarms (look at the tag events tab).

Paul

Last edited: