Can't connect to Digi IAP any ideas?

lunenburger

I am replacing a Net ENI with a Digi IAP.

I have been reading through the manual for the DIgi IAP and can see no information on how to get connected to it.

There are lots of examples of configurations, but no initial connection instructions.

I am trying to connect with my laptop through both serial and ethernet connection.
The Digi IAP shows up in device manager on serial comm port 3. But when I open the software that I downloaded from Digi, comm port 3 is not an option.

Also, the Digi IAP doesn't seem to have a default IP address. Not sure how to set it, as there is no text in the help files either.

Any directions would be greatly appreciated....
Thanks

Thanks Okie,
The discovery wizard worked.
Funny there was no link to that software on the Digi IAP web page.
I was trying to use the Digi Realport software that the manual says to use, but it looks like you have to use the discovery wizard first.
I had the manual for the Rockwell setup already downloaded, hopefully this goes better than the ip config....

Thanks Okie,
The discovery wizard worked.
Funny there was no link to that software on the Digi IAP web page.
I was trying to use the Digi Realport software that the manual says to use, but it looks like you have to use the discovery wizard first.
I had the manual for the Rockwell setup already downloaded, hopefully this goes better than the ip config....

The fact that they are more versatile than the NET-ENI makes set up a little more involved, but once you get the first one done, it is easy after that, and the performance is much much better than the NET-ENI.

I also got connected using Rockwells BootP software...
I selected the MAC address, assigned an Ip and then went in through the Web interface and shut off the DHCP request.
I still haven't got it to replace the Net Eni yet.
I went through the steps Digi outlines in the example but no luck.... I will keep trying on Monday.

What PLC is it connected to?
Also, if I recall, you have to use the Ethernet Devices driver (not the Ethernet/IP) driver, but my memory may be failing me here.

I have a stand alone computer running Insusoft HMI software talking to a Micrologix 1500 through a Net-ENI module.
I am trying to do a direct replacement of the Net-ENI module as it freezes up after thirty minutes or so.
I have followed the directions in the Digi manual to program the Digi IAP for serial communications to a PLC multiple times but keep getting connection refused in RSLinx.
I was hoping to see the Micrologix pop up in the RsLinx ethernet device driver but no such luck.
Is there a trick to get the Digi IAP configured?

The only difference between the Net ENI and the Digi IAP is that I have to switch to a 1761-PM02 cable for the Digi IAP setup.
Which I think shouldn't make a difference.
I have attached the config file for the Digi IAP as well.

Looking at the cfg file in Notepad, it appears that the baud rate is set to 9600. It should be 19.2k according to the rss file.

Also, check the error checking format. The rss file shows CRC. I don't know if/how that appears in the cfg file.

Here is a link to the pdf file for complete instructions in case it is different than what you have already. This guide includes instructions to allow bridging between PLCs, but that part may not apply to your case:
https://www.digi.com/resources/documentation/digidocs/pdfs/90000636.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks Okie,
That is the manual I am using to set it up.
I changed the setup to 19.2k and still no luck.
I am not sure if the IAP is to be set up as the master or slave?
And is the destination the PLC or the computer running the HMI software?

The worst part is, I have just started at a new company, and have been working at setting this up for 3 days now.
It is starting to get a little frustrating....

Yay, made some progress... I can go online with the PLC now through the Digi IAP.
The Indusoft HMI project is not communicating with the PLC (all question marks)
But at least there is some progress....

Thanks Okie,
That is the manual I am using to set it up.
I changed the setup to 19.2k and still no luck.
I am not sure if the IAP is to be set up as the master or slave?
And is the destination the PLC or the computer running the HMI software?

The worst part is, I have just started at a new company, and have been working at setting this up for 3 days now.
It is starting to get a little frustrating....

All I remember doing was selecting the Industrial protocols radio button and then the Rockwell/PCCC Family radio button. On the bottom of page 7 of the guide note that it says: "Our HMI is on serial port 1. Click Next and set the appropriate value in the following screens. Press Help if you need more explanation." I don't think you have a serial HMI connected to the 2nd Digi serial port, do you? If not, then the next page can lead you down the wrong path.

I might be mistaken, but I think you just need to pick the Message Source Location to "Receive messages from network devices connecting using the network" and pick Allen-Bradley Ethernet TCP 2222

Then on page 11 of the guide, follow those directions to choose the right serial port.

The next steps only apply if you need the ML1500 to be able to send messages to other PLCs on the network. If you don't then skip all that. Reboot the Digi, and then look for it in RSLinx. If you add the eds file for the Digi to RSLinx, (or maybe even if you don't), the correct PLC should appear in place of the Digi in the Who Active tree.

Also, be sure your cabling is right. At my former job we used a serial isolator between SLC 5/03 and 5/04 serial ports and the Digi and a hand made cable that someone else built, so I don't know if it was a null modem or straight through cable. Be prepared to swap pins 2 and 3 (or try a null modem adapter in series) to see if that helps.

I wish I still had access to the config files we saved. I remember the first time I tried to set up one of them I got stuck and then my partner said here, just dump this file in it and then change the IP address since he had already jumped through all the hoops and sorted out the details. None of ours had both serial ports in use. Later, I did use one with the 2nd serial port, but it wasn't too hard to modify the working set up to add that functionality.

Here is a picture of the configuration I am trying to set up.
And the configuration file from the Digi IAP that has RSLinx working but the HMI software INdusoft is not working.
The Micrologix PLC icon shows up in RSLinx, and I can go online,
It just looks like I am missing something on the HMI to PLC connection.

thanks for the help Okie....

Digi Setup.jpg

Attachments

• backup.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 1
If you can go online with RSLogix 500, then the Digi should be good to go. I would peek into the details of the settings in the HMI software to make sure they all jive. I have less than novice level experience with Indusoft.

Is RSLinx running on the same PC with the Indusoft HMI? I support one system with Indusoft and there is one A/B PLC connected to it, but they don't have RSLinx on that machine, so I cannot tell you whether or not it could interfere. I would think not (with Ethernet stuff), but it is easy enough to shut down RSLinx temporarily to make sure.

Last edited: