CompactLogix L43 lossing comms with IO cards

zitam

Hi,

I have started today commissioning of line controlled by L43 processor. After updating revision to 20.014 and downloading code to CPU I've noticed that there are errors on IO cards. In RSLinx all cards were crossed but randomly some of them went online for a moment.

I've disconected all cards beside of one cause I wanted to check each card if it doesn't interupt bus comms. I switched off autobrowse in Linx and card was becoming active after few refreshing tries, but after next refresh was crossed again. Replaced terminating cup but it doesn't solve the problem.

I've updated firmware one more time and communication with IO starts to work. After non succesfull change of settings of one of two ethernet cards comms was lost again. Updating firmware resolve the problem again.

Was able to work with PLC for couple of hours but at the end of day problem occures again.

I'm afraid that CPU needs to be changed but maybe someone of you have other idea.

Best regards,

Matt

Go above or below V20...also are you sure your end caps are installed properly? are all connections between modules good?

If the I/O modules you're having problems with are on the 1769 I/O bus to the right of the CPU, the problem is very likely due to damaged connectors or a damaged End Cap (1769-ECR).

Review the power requirements for the 1769 bus against your actual installed modules.

If the modules you are having problems with are located on a network connection (like via 1769-AENTR adapters), give us some details about the network.

Thanks for replies.

I have disconecyed everything again to check IO modules ( inputs on right side of CPU - 1768 Bus ) and end cups. After connecting them again, making sure that all connections are like they should.

RSLinx still behaves like before. Modules apear but after next scan get crossed. But in RSLogix modules works ok, without any connection faults like before. Probably connection on bus were the issue.

Does weird behauvior of RSLinx may be caused by working on VMWare ?

Matt

+1 for END CAP connection.
ALSO, be sure to make sure that the little white connector arms, above the modules, are fully and securely pushed to the left. If they wiggle out, or are even slightly not fully mated, they will cause this.
Power supply loading, of course, should be followed.
And, make sure that the DISTANCE RATING of the modules is followed.

VMware is not your issue...we use it all the time, and it does not cause symptoms like this...if you can connect, however you connect, you have already solved the biggest problem in using VMware.

After disconecting modules and connecting them again I was double checking myself if white connectors are wright. There are two banks of IOs ( one with prosoft card, 7 16pt inputs , second one 3 16pt inputs ).

It's working for now so will start to worry when stops. Have a nice weekend :)

Matt