Updating FactoryTalk View SE Local Station

zacslade

Hi All,

I have to edit a FactoryTalk View SE Local Station Application for a client. My version of View Studio is 8.1, and I think the client project was made in version 7. So, if I try to open the backup, it says "The application will be converted to...version 8.1. This process can not be undone...."

I don't really know how the licensing works for FactoryTalk. Can I update their application and deploy it without harming the functionality of it, and without costing my client more money in licensing? Do I have to get a machine with an old version of FactoryTalk View Studio in order to work on this project?

If you have a TechConnect Contract with RA you can download SE V7 and do the updating with that software.

I just got back from SE training but we didn't discuss Version issues. Hopefully more experts will chime in.

Two issues
Licensing and changing the version.

Licensing should not be a problem, it is not tied to the version.

Changing the version has it's own issues.
Is there a copy of studio installed in the plant? Perhaps on the same machine that is running the SE application? If so, use it and save some time and energy.
Is there more than one SE application in the plant? Changing the version on one may not be reasonable for the plant.
One of the issues to watch out for is ActiveX. If your application uses ActiveX, you will want to keep your development machine OS synchronized with the target machine OS. This is one reason why running FTView Studio on the target machine makes things simpler.

In our office, we support multiple versions of FTViewSE. We do it using virtual machines in VMware with our licenses on the host machine. It's not a big deal to have two virtual machines, one with 7.0 and one with 8.1. They can use the same license, just not at the same time.

I agree with the previous posts. If you convert the app to your version, you will be able to edit and run the app on your PC, but when you deploy it back to the machine that will be running it you will have a version conflict as they will still be running v7 software. Unlike Machine Edition, you cannot deploy in a different version.

ActiveX can certainly be an issue when changing version too.

I also prefer editing in VMs where I can install different versions of the FT Studio software.

OG

Yes, you will need a new PC/VM with an old version of FTView Studio.
ME = multiple edition
SE = single edition

ME was designed to solve the problem of new Designer, but old Runtime.
The Runtime can run old versions of the files.
The Designer can build old version of files, if needed, as well.

SE is single version support only. There is no backward, or multiple version support.
I also think it is best to design/edit on the plant system that the project is running on (especially if it is a distributed project). Too many problems with different versions, patches, or transferring between systems.

Just build up a VM with the old version and you'll always be ready to go from now on.