CLX Redundancy upgrade

kersl28

K
I have a CLX redundant system that contols some critical systems at our facility. It is dificult to operate these systems in "local control" without the CLX running. I am planning a much needed upgrade to the new firmware.

I need to minimize the downtime on the system during the upgrade. I was wondering If I could put the system in program mode. Disconnect one racks CNB modules. Pull the SRM module. Uncheck the redundancy check box. Then return to run mode on the remaining rack. Then I could upgrade one rack at a time with minimal downtime. I suspect that this will not work, but wonder if anyone has ever tried anything like this before?

I can still get the job done if I have to take it all the way down. It is just a lot more work for others involved in the operation of the equipment. Any other ideas on the subject would be great too.

Also does anyone know off hand if my "Keepers" on the Controlnet will be valid after a flash upgrade? I think I will have to reschedule the network but did not know for sure.

Lastly, any suggestions or experiences with this process would greatly be appreciated. I am trying to be prepared for whatever comes up. I have read documentation on the upgrade already.

I haven't had good luck doing what you're suggesting. SRM modules have an extremely BAD attitude, especially when they're not being used exactly as advertised. You may be able to unplug them from each other and flash one at a time, but I've had to shut the PLC down in order to get the SRM modules to synchronize again.

If Ken Roach is watching, he may have some advise for you.

AK

Thanks for the info.

I understand I will have to be down some period of time. I am just trying to minimize this.

The redundancy manual shows a procedure for updating one rack then the other with very minimal downtime. It is not very clear to me if you can update the SRM's in this way.

I would think you would have a problem once you flash one and it's revision no longer matches the other? Then again these modules should be able to run on there own no matter what in case of a failure.

In the near future I will try the procedure from the manual. If it works I will only be down for a few minutes at a time.

I will post my results, and what did and did not work.

kersl28 said:
The redundancy manual shows a procedure for updating one rack then the other with very minimal downtime. It is not very clear to me if you can update the SRM's in this way.

I haven't read the procedure. But, I've learned to follow AB's advice regardless of how non-intuitive it seems (at least you'll have someone else to blame). The hardest part, though, is figuring out exactly what their advice is. I strongly recommend checking the knowledge base before you do anything. That's where the latest "gotchas" are posted.

My proceedure for upgrading the SRM modules has been to unplug the fiber cable, leaving one rack operating as the primary. I can update the flash memory on the secondary by doing that, but I don't know how to get the upgraded rack to take over while I flash the one I left alone.

AK

Upgrade results

I flashed all the modules and got it back online last night. It went amazingly well. I experienced a total downtime of barely 1 minute.

Here is how it went. (After uploading my program and tags one last time)

1.Set synchronization of SRM to "Never"

2.Disqualify secondary controller.

3.Disconnect SRM and CNB modules cables.

4.Insert spare ENBT module into rack.

5.Flash SRM

6.Flash CNB's

7.Flash Processor

8.Convert program to new software version.(done ahead of time)

9.Download converted program to freshly flashed processor

10.Remove ENBT used for flashing and download

11.Prepare controlled equipment for brief loss of control

12.Turn key on Primary controller to program, then power it down

This is the only time I was without control. Between these two steps. Not more than a minute or so.

13.Disconnect SRM and CNB cables from Primary controller

14.Connect SRM and CNB cables to freshly upgraded rack

15.Turn Key to Run (or do it online)

16.Repeat flash process on second rack

17.Power down freshly upgraded rack

18.Reconnect SRM and CNB module cables

19.Power up (will show disqualified after a few moments)

20.Set SRM to synchronize always or conditionaly (depends on your system)

21.Trigger synchronization (if needed, depends on step 20)

22.Synchronized and done!

This seems like a lot, but it went really fast. This whole thing took less than 1.5 hrs. I think the trick to that was the extra ENBT I used for flashing and downloads. I used a crossover cable and had a dedicated 100mb connection. The modules flashed very quickly. I had all my software and files ready to go ahead of time too. You have to keep your head about which SRM is which and so on when you go online. That is the only tricky part in my opinion.

Thanks for the replies.

I am a registered user here. I just could not remember my info to log in the other day.