PLC-5/20 MSG Read from MicroLogix 1100

justin lutz

Hello all,

I have a MicroLogix 1100 Series B that I am trying to read data from and into a PLC-5/20 Series D Rev A.

I assume this is possible, but I have an additional piece of hardware that might be tripping me up. The 1100 connects via Ethernet to a DataLink GW1000-ABEIP protocol converter. From there, we go DH+ to the PLC-5. This is all existing equipment and wiring and I am really just trying to pull data from the 1100 into the PLC-5. I have not taken a look at the configuration of the GW1000, so I do not know if it has any parameters that would need to be changed in this case.

I configured a MSG instruction in the PLC-5, as follows:

This PLC-5:
Communications Command: PLC-5 Typed Read
Data Table Address: N7:20
Size in Elements: 8

Target Device:
Data Table Address: N7:10
Local Station Address (oct): 7
Local/Remote: Local

The converter is the actual device on the DH+ network (not the 1100) and has DH+ node address 07. Could it be that the PLC-5 cannot "see" through the converter to pull the requested data? Or, do I have my messaging jumbled up somehow?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Justin

I was reading over the MSG instruction help and came across the following:

"Using the MG control block, the control block size is fixed at 56 words. You must use the MG control block if you are sending messages to an SLC 500 processor using the SLC read and write commands, or if you are sending messages out any other port than channel 1A."

It would seem that I should be using the MG control word, with a "PLC-5 Typed Read to SLC," as opposed to an Integer control word. Can anyone confirm this? I am going to give it a shot when I am onsite again, but if anyone has additional suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Justin