MicroLogix 1100 - PLC Newbee

wileyc30101

Greetings, (My first post)

I have a MicroLogix 1100 Processor. I have downloaded RSLinx Classic. I have also downloaded RSLogix micro English. This software is loaded to a laptop with XP professional.

I'm trying to use the RG45 connectors with a cat5/6 cable (Cross connect)to communicate...Laptop to Micrologix 1100.

Starting green...!

The Micrologix does have a program in it( I can get it to run mode) I can navigate through and find the ip address of the unit.

I can open the soft ware and start a ladder diagram i.e. add a rung and input a device...or I guess an instruction would be a proper term...---II--- N.O. XIC .

Just Background info..

Question: How do I get the MicroLogix and my laptop (software) communicating. So that I build some switches for input and lights for outputs and get started training?

Seeking guidance and direction...

I'm running off distant memory, I don't have RSLinx or RSLogix on this PC and I have a few beer into me, but I think I can guide you through it.

First, make a crossover cable (unless you're able to plug the computer and ML1100 into a network switch or router.

Run the Bootp-DHCP server, which should be under the "Rockwell" or "Rockwell Software" file in your Programs Menu. There should be a Help file, too. I think you have to enter a Gateway (IP address of your computer or router) and a subnet mask (try 255.255.255.0).

Once entered, you should see a screen with MAC addresses of the PLCs on the network. From there, you can assign individual IP addresses on the same subnet as your computer.

Set up a new driver in RSLinx (Ethernet/IP Driver, I think) and enter the IP address of the PLC

To download a program from RSLogix 500, Open the "Comms", "System Comms" menu. Select the PLC and download.

I might be missing a step and may have the menu titles wrong, but you'll figure it out.

Good luck and have fun experimenting.

play around with the little HMI buttons on the front of the unit ... navigate down to the "Advanced Set" area – and press OK ... then go to the "ENET cfg" which will show you any Ethernet address that might already be set up ...

suppose that the existing setting is 192.168.100.1 ...

go to your programming computer's Network Places – and set the laptop's IP address for 192.168.100.2 ... (notice that the LAST setting is off by ONE digit) ... make sure that your computer's Subnet Mask is set for 255.255.255.0 ...

now open a Command Prompt (DOS looking Window) and type PING 192.168.100.1 ...

see if the MicroLogix will answer your ping operation ...

if that works, you're ready for the next step ...

now go to RSLinx and Configure Drivers ... add a new driver for Ethernet Devices ... where it asks for the Host Name type in the IP address of the MicroLogix ... following this example it would be 192.168.100.1 ...

now see if RSLinx will show the MicroLogix in the RSWho window ...

if you get hung up along the way, post again with detailed questions and we'll try to get you going ... the more you tell us about what you're seeing - the more help we can give you ...

good luck with it ...

Greetings,

Thanks for the guidance. I will try all posted suggestions and post the results. Thanks to all for your replies.

Charlie

I have followed the posted instructions with the best of my understanding.

I have not been successful with communications between my laptop the micrologix 1100. (Not that I can tell)

However; when I open the communication tab in RSLogix Micro Starter Lite, In the bottom left hand corner of the communication tab - under Current Selection I do see "Server:RSLinx API which leads me to believe that I did something correct.

I apologize that I am not knowledgeable enough about this process to give vital details that probably would be helpful.

Things that I do know...I have Windows XP on the laptop. I have the MicroLogix 1100. I am using a cross connect cat 5/6 cable to connect the two together. I have down loaded RSLogix Micro Starter Lite. I have also downloaded RSLinx.(running in the background)
I can see the POWER led illuminated on the 1100. I can also see the RUN led illuminated on the MicroLogix 1100.
I can go into the advanced settings and view the MAC and IP address in the MicroLogix 1100.

I have created a basic ladder rung with a N.C. (STOP) N.O. (START). At the end of the rung there is a -()- (COIL). And under the START there is a (C1) internal contact(I guess) also N.O. XIC (I guess)

Its the basic start/stop - holding contact and motor/coil.

The XIO N.C. instruction (first in line on the rung) is showing "GREEN". when I click on "Verify Project" I get ...

Rung 1 Ins 1:ERROR Parsed Entry as Symbol: STOP is valid for a symbol entry but is not in the database.
I also get the same same message for the START, C1 and the COIL.

I'm not sure what to try next...?

Last edited:
If you've already done everything Ron Beaufort explained then open Logix, with a clean slate not your program, and try an upload. That will verify the connection and get you a program to study and modify OFFLINE.

I can go into the advanced settings and view the MAC and IP address in the MicroLogix 1100.

what is the IP address of the MLX1100 set for? ...

what is the IP address of your computer set for?

what did you see on the computer screen when you tried the "ping" operation? ...

the figure below shows what a successful "ping" would look like ... "Reply" is good news - it shows that you computer and your MicroLogix are capable of communicating with each other over the Ethernet connection ...

ping_mlx1100.PNG

Last edited:
MLX 10.1.160.173
My Computer 192.168.1.10

I pinged once with 10.1.160.173 and got 4 sent 4 lost
I pinged again with 10.1.160.174 and got 4 went 0 lost

Is there some sort of router in your network ?

I can't figure out why you didn't lose all the PINGs to 10.1.160.174... there shouldn't be anything at all on the 10.1.160 network that you can PING from your PC.

It's a basic principle of IP networks that two devices need to be on the same subnet, or have a router to handle the traffic between subnets.

The simplest thing to do is to change your computer to a static IP address that's on the same IP network as the MicroLogix, like "10.1.160.170".

The actual number of octets that need to match depends on the subnet mask. I'm not sure if you can see that on the MicroLogix LCD screen.

Is there some sort of router in your network ?

I only have a cat 5 cable plugged into the side MLX 1100 and the other end in my laptop.

I suppose it's possible that if the subnet mask is all zeroes that those two IP addresses can communicate with one another. I've never even tried that because it's not how IP networks are typically set up.

I still recommend setting your PC for an IP address that's in the same range as the IP address of the MicroLogix.

There are thousands of tutorials on the Internet about basic IP addressing, so if you're unsure about how IP addresses and subnet masks work together, there's a world of general information about that.

EDIT: By "those two IP addresses" I mean the IP address of the MicroLogix and the IP address of your PC.

They shouldn't be able to talk to one another at all, even using a low-level command like PING.

Either way, you're almost certainly not going to get RSLinx or any other TCP-based software to communicate until your MicroLogix and your PC are on the same IP subnet, like 10.1.160.xxx

Last edited:
you need to be more specific - and more detailed - with your responses ... we're having to do some guesswork here ...

are you telling us that with your computer changed to 10.1.160.174 you got good "Reply" responses when you pinged 10.1.160.173? ...

if this is correct, then there should be enough info in the figure below to get you connected with RSLinx ... once that's done, then it's time to try to "go online" with RSLogix 500 ...

I'm off for tonight ... good luck with it ...

wiley_b.jpg

Last edited: