Moeller Easy819: variable time parameter?

mscriven

Hello. At work have a burnishing "tumbler" controlled by an Easy819 unit. We want to be able to choose between 2 cycle times. I'm thinking the easiest way (for me at least) would be to make the time parameter in the timer a variable, rather than adding a second timer, and use a toggle switch as an input.
But i'm stumped.

I don't know how to assign a value to the variable based on an input. My PLC knowledge is limited, and today is the first i've really messed w/ the Easy819. I bet it's easy, i'm just not getting it.
I'd appreciate any pointers you can send my way.
Thx.
Marty

You use the DB Data Block function to transfer values from one place to another. So you could transfer a fixed number in to a variable that you use as the setpoint for your timer. I haven't used the Easy for a while but there was a place to get confused in using a variable to set a time. The timers normally allow you to work in 'mins and secs', or 'hours and mins' etc. but the variable only allows you to set one value. So if you had the timer set to use mins and secs, then the variable would be the total number of seconds.

Might also help to know that you can use the D function to create your own screen displays. So I would always make the timer values show on screen so that the operator can see how long there is left.

Thx, Bryan. I kinda got the data block working. I'm guessing i'm not using the parameters correctly:
Initialize or copy
I1: start of source range
I2: destination range start
NO: number of elements to be written in bytes per range.

Ive tried Initialize and copy, results are the same. What is the difference?
Here are my settings for Bt01:
I1=23 (random number)

I2=MB01 (my variable)
NO=3

When i turn the unit to RUN, I2 changes to 16.
When i start the machine, I2 changes to 18.
I have MB01 as time parameter on the timer i want to control, and i think the 16 and 18 numbers show the same there.

I'm guessing this is a bits/bytes problem that i'm not understanding.

I messed w/ the display function, but can't get it to display my variable. It only wants to display entered text. Not so important at the moment.

The p/n for manual i'm using is MN04902001Z-EN. If you put p/n in google it comes up as 2nd entry. Section on data blocks: 5.4. Section on markers: 4.4.5.

Thx. for your help.
Marty

Rats. Just noticing there is a DB function, where i was using BT. Missed that in Bryan's reply.

Will try DB tomorrow.
Marty

Just noticing there is a DB function, where i was using BT.
I was scratching my head trying to find Initialize and Copy, I was about to download a later version of Easysoft in case they had modified the DB function.
icon7.gif

I messed w/ the display function, but can't get it to display my variable
On the Parameters tab you click on the OP column and there you can select a parameter to display, you can allow the operator to change a value if you want to. Then you go to Text Entry to add any comments. Make sure you have Preview switched ON.

For timers I always show them a 'time remaining' rather than 'elapsed time'. To do that you will have to give the timer a memory location to store the current elapsed time and use an AR arithmetic block to subtract elapsed from set point and store the result in another memory location.

Not getting DB to work. I bet it’s a syntax thing. Something basic that I’m doing wrong.
This is how I have the DB function set up:
Name: DB01
>I1: constant of +4
QV> Have set to MD01

How I have it in circuit:

When input I8 is closed, it triggers DB01. I think it’s entered as DB01T_.

So, when DB01 is triggered does it send value of 4 to MD01?

Then, time value for Timer01 is MD01. Time is set to HH:MM

When I run the machine the time is 99:59, something like that.

I don’t know how to troubleshoot it. FYI: I don’t have the software of cable; I’m doing everything on the built-in screen.
The examples in the book are confusing. This is listed as a contact:
DB..Q1 -> Transfer confirmation with 1, if T_ is 1.
This is a coil:
DB..T_ -> Transfer the value to >I1 with a rising edge.

Examples:
GT01Q1-------------------[ DB16T
The trigger coil is addressed via the network.

DB16Q1-------------------------[D 02EN
The output of the data function block DB16Q1 is assigned to the input D02EN of the text display function block..

Maybe I have to trigger it, then output it, similar to above?
I8------------[DB01T_ (w/ MD01 removed for QV> line inside the DB01 function)
DB01Q1---------[MD01

Anyway, thx for your help.
Marty

After watching some videos on Youtube i thought i'd download the software. Seems to work if i trigger it then "display" it, w/ Q parameter.
Looking forward to trying it tomorrow.
Marty

The only bit you might have got wrong using the onboard screen is that you have to draw a line from the I1 contact to the DB function. I can't remember which button you press to get the line to draw, but there aren't that many to play with.

Be careful using MD01, the Easys have limited memory and all memory types share the same memory area. It helps if you know a little about bits, bytes, words and double words, another thing to websearch. In the Easy MD01 is also M1 to M16, or MB1 to MB4 or MW1 and MW2, so if you use MD01 then you can no longer use the other data types or they would interfere with each other. Another issue that is part of the same thing is what data you can make retentive, retentive data holds its data when the electric supply is cycled and is limited to 96 bytes in the older versions, it may have changed more recently. Doing some of the maths for you, if you don't need what is currently MD01 to be retentive then make it MD96 instead, if you do want it to be retentive then use MD23.

MD01 appears to have been the problem.
Thanks so much for your pointers.

I wish all the display parameters were accessible from the screen.
Oh well....
Marty

I wish all the display parameters were accessible from the screen.
Two possibilities. In the list of things where you select Program on the Easy, the next one down I think is Parameter. In Easysoft in Parameter display you can choose which parameters can be viewed, +Call Enabled/-Call Disabled. Otherwise you have used one D function Display and you have another 31 available, you can cycle through others or you can view particular screens at times in the program sequence.

Something to think about is security. On the Project tab, then Security you can set a 6 digit password to protect the program and parameters.

Finally if you like the Easy relay but don't like the screen you can move up to the MFD Titan version of the relay. This uses the same logic as the other relays but gives a much more flexible screen to work with.

Thanks so much for your pointers.
Happy to help. On this forum and this subject I can be a helper on other forums and other subjects I am very much a helpee. I figure what comes around goes around.