Siemens KTP Basic panels

Jim G.

Hello everyone,

We started up a new production line earlier this year, and everything is Siemens controls, (PLC's, HMI's, drives, etc.) This is my first experience with Siemens products and I am getting a workout. It is 4:00 in the morning right now. I got called in around 2 because an operator dropped something on a flat-mounted KTP900 basic panel, rendering it inoperable on the touch screen. Maintenance only had a KTP1200 spare unit. Great time to learn how to convert a project. I was able to convert the 900 panel configuration to the 1200 panel and at least get production started back up. I have some questions and would appreciate some input:
1. The broken KTP panel - Can the configuration be saved off of it. There is a USB port on the back.
2. Can a KTP900 basic panel be loaded with its program from a flash drive and retain it on the spare part shelf enabling maintenance to just plug and play?

Thanks for the help.

On number 1, I'm not entirely sure. In the past that was possible, but you would have to make the backup from the Windows embedded control panel (or something similar). If the LCD isn't available, I don't think that bit will be easy.

On number 2, I believe that was possible to do via the same functionality that allowed the back up.

Is this the model you have:

https%3A%2F%2Fsupport.industry.siemens.com%2Fcs%2Fattachments%2F90114350%2Fhmi_basic_panels_2nd_generation_operating_instructions_e_en-US.pdf%3Fdownload%3Dtrue&usg=AOvVaw3rbUPv-2Wz_hOhtxfrv3CL

1. Not in the way that you get the source code for the program. You can pull off an image that can be installed on an identical panel.

2. The socalled "comfort" panels can do this, with genuine plug and play. Not from a USB flash stick, but from an SD card in a slot in the rear.
I do not know if the basic panels can do that. I suspect not.
But if not plug-and-play, you can copy an image to a USB stick and relatively easily restore the image on another panel. So if you have a spare panel and the USB stick preloaded you could be up and running in 10-15 minutes.
If that is not quick enough, you could have a dedicated spare panel for the machine and have the image loaded already when on stock. edit: Since the Siemens basic panels are relatively inexpensive, this is a realistic option. If getting up and running in a hurry is of importance, I would go this way.

Last edited:
1. You can try plugging in a USB hub in order to plug in a mouse and USB flash drive. I've used a mouse to operate a TP177B, so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible with a Comfort Panel. This will not be editable with WinCC, it will only be an image. You could use ProSave with the computer to take an image as well.

2. Yes-ish… it's not hands-off, there is a procedure to do backup/restore on the panel itself through the Control Panel. Again, not editable with WinCC.

In case nr2 is meant as: Can I load the project on the panel and let it sit for years on end until the next guy breaks the current one, allowing maintenance to just replace the panel in stead of waking me up at 2am?

Yes you can.

OK, Thanks for the help.

To change panels, I archived a copy of my program for insurance. Then I opened up my program and changed the panel by right-clicking in the tree by the HMI and selecting "Convert". This allowed me to select the 12 inch panel and exchange it in the program where the old 9 inch HMI was. I put in the IP address for the new panel from the panel itself and then went online with it. I downloaded just the new panel software changes. Before the download took place, there was a screen that mentioned the difference in the screen sizes and a check box that said "Fit". I checked it assuming the graphics for the 9 inch old panel would scale to the new 12 inch panel. The download took several minutes. When everything came up, the graphics were still in the 9 inch configuration. Still workable for production, but I was wondering why the display didn't adjust to the new 12 inch format? Just curious. I plan to put things back like they were when I get a replacement panel.

Hope this rambling makes sense. Trying to learn.

Thanks

Check if the setting "Resize screen" ... "Fit to screen" is still set.
And "Size adaptation of objects" ... "Disable fit to size for text obects" and "Disable fit to size for graphical objects" are NOT set.
Then try to do the conversion once more.

I will check that later. Right now the operators are able to function. We are behind on orders and I don't want to interfere anymore while Production is running. Besides, I will go back to a 9 inch panel as soon as I can get one in here. I was able to hook a mouse up on the broken screen and get it backed up to a flash drive. Should make setting the replacement up easier.

Again, Thanks to all for the support.

Been here all night. Getting ready to go home. Have a long holiday weekend here in the states. I'll look at it on Tuesday next week.

For those who get to enjoy it, have a good Labor Day weekend.