How To Download AB PLc programm through Ethernet port

Shawn

Hi Buddies,

I just got a trouble on a Paper Cutting Machine. The machine is controlled by Controllogix 5550 of AB. There is a Ethernet Module and a Ethernet Hub.

I plug my computer with Rslogix 5000 and Rslinks to a port on the hub, which IP address is 223.223.223.2, my question is:

How I setup my Rslogix 5000 or Rslinks so that I can download the PLC program through this port?

I have only experience on programming with SLC 5/02 .

Your help will be very appreciated. Thanks.

Shawn

Since you are starting from scratch and are not familiar with TCP/IP, Ethernet, or RSLogix 5000, this is going to be a little simplistic.

The first thing to do is make sure your computer and your PLC can communicate over TCP/IP.

In Windows, click the Start button, then the Run function. In the resulting window type "CMD" and hit Enter.

This brings up a command window into which you can enter a handful of useful diagnostic commands.

The first command is "IPCONFIG". This will list the Ethernet interfaces in your computer and the IP addresses they are using.

What you should see is that your computer's Ethernet interface is using a similar IP address as the ControlLogix 1756-ENBT module. Probably this is "223.223.223.1". If you do not see an IP address simliar to the one for the PLC, you're going to have to take a step back and learn how to configure TCP/IP networking on your computer.

The second command is "PING 223.223.223.2". This will verify that your physical connection and network configuration will allow your operating system to access the ControlLogix.

The next step is to configure RSLinx to communicate with the Ethernet module in the ControlLogix. You will need to configure an "EtherNet/IP" driver and select "browse local subnet".

This EtherNet/IP driver will allow you to use the Communications -> Who Active function in RSLogix 5000 to browse for the ControlLogix ethernet module and then for the controller in it's chassis.

I might have misunderstood your description of the configuration, so if the above is confusing to you, answer two questions:

1. Does the Ethernet module in the ControlLogix chassis have a scrolling text display, or just two LED's ? If it has a scrolling display, what is the IP address it is displaying ?

2. What is the result when you type "IPCONFIG" into the CMD window in Windows ?

Hi Ken,

Yes, there is a scrolling display on the Ethernet module. I can find a guy who can set up the TCP/IP on my computer. I'll do what you told me tomorrow.

Thanks. If there is any result, i'll post that here.

Shawn

Hi buddy,

I failed on my Ethernet Port upload. I can't seen IP address of PLC, what I saw is the IP address of Touch Screen Workstaion(for RSView) and UPS power management.

The ethernet module has only 3 LED indicator , it has no Scrolling text lED. I made a mistake on my last Post.

Thanks.