VFD cable for continuous motion

adisharr

Hi all,

I have an application that requires a cable for a 1.5 230VAC hp motor. I'm using a small AB drive with it.

The motor is going to be riding on a carriage along a 40' rail. The attached cable will see motion along the length of this track (in a cable track) approx. 5-10 times/hour up to 24hrs/day.

I'm looking for recommendations on a cable brand / type for this. Most of what I've found so far from Lapp / Lutze / Alpha seem to be rated for 'flexible' applications but not continuous motion.

Will a braid / foil shielded type hold up to this? One white paper thinks not.

I'm also going to be running a multi-turn absolute SSI encoder which I can put in a separate track.

Any suggestions will be welcome ;)

Call the Anixter wire office in Henrietta. They will be able to suggest the proper stuff. There is also Simcona, but they are more likely to sell you what they have in stock.

The motor is going to be riding on a carriage along a 40' rail. The attached cable will see motion along the length of this track (in a cable track) approx. 5-10 times/hour up to 24hrs/day.
You should also compare flexible cable to the durability and cost of insulated conductor bars, track busways, and similar products used for outdoor crane conductors and other mobile equipment.

http://www.jrgindustries.com/crane-electrification.htm

We use Lapp for high flex applications here. Holds up pretty well as I have never replaced any of it. If our animals can't destroy it then it's a pretty good product.

I have used the IGUS stuff also with the same result.

Lancie1. BusBars are good but on such a small HP size (1.5) im going to guess that its cheaper to go with ultra flexible cable. lol.

Don't even be tempted by slide contacts, bus bars, and brushes. The intermittent nature of the sliding contacts will cause nuisance faulting on the VFD's and you will come to regret the choice.

Use festooning with a properly rated flex cable and you will have a much better system.

The intermittent nature of the sliding contacts will cause nuisance faulting on the VFD's and you will come to regret the choice.
It seems to work okay on Soft Starters and VFDs mounting on some cranes that I have seen. I suppose crane manufacturers would like to have hard-wired motors and VFD drives, but most do not due to the problems in handling long cables.

...on such a small HP size (1.5) im going to guess that its cheaper to go with ultra flexible cable.
The smaller the motor, the lower the rating (and cheaper) of any track conductors. I used some on a 10-Ton overhead crane with 100' rails, and it was very economical. The spring-loaded double-ended communator slides available now provide continuous contact.

Last edited:
From my experince we have a lot of cranes with VFD's and have no issue with them on power rails but the power rails are delivering power to the VFD which has a large capacitor bank and they are a little oversized.

But if the OP needs flexible motor leads coming from the drive to the motor then power rails would likely cause an issue as Dick DV said.

Power to Drive = Power rails ok

Motor Leads from Drive = power rails will cause issues.

Power rails in perfect condition are troublefree. Continuous maintenance can keep them that way.

In my world, "perfect condition" and "continuous maintenance" doesn't often exist. Why risk it when there is a simple inexpensive alternative.

Power to Drive = Power rails ok

Motor Leads from Drive = power rails will cause issues.
That is a very good point, Kid. It never occurred to me that the VFD might not also be on the moving part (as it is on a crane).