PLC 5 PID Instruction Question - Integral

Hi all,

Got a quick question. Might be stupid and stright forward, but have to ask it. I have a loop being excecuted in a PLC5 PID loop, that needs to be tuned ( I don't usually do too much with PLC's) . My question is in regards to the integral gain value. We are using the "independent" form of the PID equation. According to the manual, the units on the integral are "1/seconds". So if my thinking is correct, the larger number entered for the integral gain, the "slower" the integral action will be??

Thanks

Andrew Evenson

sorry ... you got it backwards ... with the "Independent Gains" equation, a BIGGER number gives MORE (faster) Integral action ...

PS Edit ... I just found this post that might be helpful ...

Last edited:
Hi Ron,

Thanks for your reply. After re-thinking about it you are right.
Does this make sense??

Gain value entered = 50
Therefore gain = 50 * (1/60) = 0.83333 - Larger gain, faster integral respose

Gain value entered = 0.1
Therefore gain = 0.1 * (1/60) = 0.00166 - Lower gain, slower integer reponse.

Again, thank-you very much for your reply.

Andrew Evenson