Proficy Machine Edition Out of memory

Aaron222

Hello all,

I have Proficy Machine Edition 9.5 running on a Win7 Enterprise laptop with 16GB of RAM.

I am attempting to upload from a QuickPanel Mini (CQPM3D200B2P-A). I made a new project with the correct Model chosen (QPM-3xxxx) and connected using a USB to serial adapter and the correct cable. I have successfully Uploaded and Downloaded with this setup with a spare unit on the bench using a single simple screen for testing.

I begin the upload and it starts properly with the screen going into transfer mode. There is a step where PME restarts the QuickPanel and just after that, I get a popup window titled "Proficy Machine Edit..." with the message "Out of memory." There is one box to click, if I click [OK] to dismiss the window PME is still showing "Uploading from QucikPanel" at the step "Reading Project Tags Data" and this will hang until I kill PME using task manager.

What is this Out of memory message telling me? I can't imagine it to be true but is the computer out of memory? This has been a show-stopper problem so far. I have an old laptop running Win95 with QD3.6 that I may be able to read the QP with and make a .proj file, but I don't see why PME wouldn't work. :confused:

Thank you

What SIM version do you have installed for 9.5?

There is a note in SIM 6 about an out of memory error for a download to a QP. It is possible an upload causes the same problem.

The latest SIM for version 9.5 is 28. I think the SIMs are cumulative.
You can download from: https://emerson-mas.force.com/communities/CC_Home
You will have to register to be able to download.

I should also mention something that I forgot, when uploading with the QuickPanel mini I have to open PME as Administrator or I will get "unable to create file" alerts in the message area and it will hang trying to upload. So add the step "Open PME as Administrator" in the first post.

I tried uploading from a QuickPanel Jr (CQPK3D200L2P-A) and had the same result, "Out of memory" at the same point in the upload process.

What SIM version do you have installed for 9.5?

There is a note in SIM 6 about an out of memory error for a download to a QP. It is possible an upload causes the same problem.

The latest SIM for version 9.5 is 28. I think the SIMs are cumulative.
You can download from: https://emerson-mas.force.com/communities/CC_Home
You will have to register to be able to download.

I upgraded the sim version from 16 to 28 using the software at the link you shared, thank you. I see the same message.

Does anyone know if this could be caused by the original builder not including the project file when downloading to the quickpanel?

As far as I know, if the OEM did not include the project file in his download, you get a message advising that, not the message you're seeing. At this point if cleaning the project build folders hasn't helped, I'd uninstall/reinstall Proficy Machine Edition.
Are you using the (recommended) 64-bit version of Windows 7?

I am using Win7 64 bit.

An update: I opened a ticket with Emerson and they remoted in to do a "clean uninstall" which included uninstalling PME and removing extra files and registry keys the uninstaller did not remove. Then a clean install of PME 9.5 and patch to SIM 28. Problem persists.

They also said this is a known issue that was patched in SIM 28 but tested on Win10. They did not know if the patch was tested on Win7. I am working on getting PME installed on a Win10 machine with a temporary 30 day license from Emerson to test this. I will share my results.