Hydraulic & Pneumatic Training

fluidpower1

Since Electrical types usually trouble shoot hydraulic and pneumatic circuits by default, I wondered if anyone would be interested in some training books I put together to teach basics and circut design to Engineers and Mechanical Maintence persons?

I have used the basic book to teach Electrical Apprentices at a local plant and thought your posters might be interested in seeing the books content.

You can read them at this web site if you are interested.

http://www.hydraulicspneumatics.com/200/eBooks/

The Brain Teaser section is some tools I use to bring home the teaching and make a point throughout the class.

I have a third book I use to teach hydraulic trouble shooting also that is used as an advanced class for the Mechancial Maintenence persons at the same plant. It also should be presented at the above site in the future.

You email me for brochures on the first two books at [email protected]

Hope you find the books interesting and informative.

What would be nice is if they were offered in .PDF format so that you could download sections / chapters or the whole book the online view and print and print friendly format that you already have is good too. But give us more options. All tech magazines need to have a PDF option for individual articles or the entire magazine .it looks as if you are with penton media. Another thing I hate is the ec&m website. The magazine used to be in PDF form you could download entire magazines or single articles and they were easy to archive for future use and reference. Please make this much needed recommendation pennon media wide. Again nothing wrong with the formats that you have but why not have both. Why was PDF taken away? A very foolish decision that ticked off a lot of readers of various penton magazines. As for the books on fluid power outstanding read. Thank you for the time and effort and for sharing

Regards

Penton Magazines

I'm not part of Penton, only write articles from time to time.

The Fluid Power world is little understood by most in the Mechanical and Electrical fields and most of the training books are by Fluid Power Manufacturers and usually cover only the equipment they sell. I found their books hard to use and finally wrote tese to make the classes easier to teach and for the students to follow. Also, the book is generic and covers components many miss because their product line does not offer them.

As I mentioned the Electrical Maintenance Apprentices at a local plant get 64 Hours of the Basic book and some hands on with Fluid Power trainers.

plc noob said:
What would be nice is if they were offered in .PDF format so that you could download sections / chapters or the whole book the online view and print and print friendly format that you already have is good too.
The point is that your are supposed to get the magazine and see the advertising that pays for the magazine.

But give us more options. All tech magazines need to have a PDF option for individual articles or the entire magazine
I agree but how does Penton make money? Those adds subsidize the free information. In Bud's case I doubt he got anything for his effort. I think he did it because he truly cares about spreading information about hydraulic power.

I would like to have a .pdf section too. Instead we have to pay for reprints.
This is how Penton makes money because I know many do pay anything for the magazine itself.

.it looks as if you are with penton media.
No. Obviously neither am I.

Another thing I hate is the ec&m website. The magazine used to be in PDF form you could download entire magazines or single articles and they were easy to archive for future use and reference. Please make this much needed recommendation pennon media wide. Again nothing wrong with the formats that you have but why not have both. Why was PDF taken away? A very foolish decision that ticked off a lot of readers of various penton magazines. As for the books on fluid power outstanding read. Thank you for the time and effort and for sharing
Penton did it possible to post links to the articles. A few years back you couldn't even do that.

Thank you for the links and the time you put in Bud.

While it may seem obsequious given the unfortunate start this thread took, I for one am grateful for the resources people like you (and Peter as well) provide that I can point Bubba and Cletus to, and that anyone can access, to improve their fluid power skill sets. The future of fluid power is bright.

Peter

If memory serves me correctly. The PDF versions of ec&m and other penton magazines did contain advertisements. You would still see them. Setup the link where you have to go to the site to get to the ftp for the PDF version. You would see the advertisements everytime you opened the document. I have no problem with that. In a sense they would advertise in two ways vs. one. Also you can put links to other articles and websites inside PDF documents. And keep both methods

Air Logic Controls

Notice the Ebooks are "Fluid Power" not just Hydraulic or Pneumatic.

However, they are about 90% hydrulic with information on the difference in operation between using a Liquid Fluid or a Gas Fluid.

I would be interested in feedback on Chapter 19 that covers Air Loic Controls. I used these type controls on a lot of machines that only had air cylinders and valves but required a control function as well. Normally control would be handled electrically and operate solenoid valves which works well but requires two types of power and two fields of endeavor for design and maintenance. The terms for components appear to be directly from Electrical Components used for the same purpose.

The other places Air Logic had an advantage was on machine tools that had coolant flushing chips and lubricating tools. No chance of short circuits or shock.

One unusual customer was a Naval Ammunition Depot in my area that required control circuits on machines that took out dated ammunition apart so the explosives could be exploded and other parts could be saved.

Fortunately the Air Logic was very reliable since no one understood the function of the components and had no training in trouble shooting the circuits.

fluidpower1 said:
The other places Air Logic had an advantage was on machine tools that had coolant flushing chips and lubricating tools. No chance of short circuits or shock.

Or in graphite handling - graphite powder gets everywhere and no matter how careful you are it eventtually finds its way in and shorts something expen$ive.

Thanks Bud,

Out hydraulics guy is retiring in a month and I will have to find another goto guy. If I study your materials I might end up being the goto guy around here. Maybe I should think about it first!

Brian.

croakus wrote:
"can't wait to see how chapters 6 and up look in Ed. 2."

The books are being a offered a section at a time every two weeks or so. which means it willl be awhile before all 23 sections are on the web.

Here is the Table of Contents to give an idea of what is presented in the same format as on the web site.

FLUID POWER CIRCUITS EXPLAINED

TABLE OF CONTENTS

SECTION 1...............................................................ACCUMULATOR CIRCUITS

SECTION 2............................................................AIR LOGIC VALVE CIRCUITS

SECTION 3..............................................................................AIR-OIL CIRCUITS

SECTION 4.........................................................CARTRIDGE VALVE CIRCUITS

SECTION 5...........................................COUNTER BALANCE VALVE CIRCUITS

SECTION 6.........................................................................CYLINDER CIRCUITS

SECTION 7..........................................................DE-COMPRESSION CIRCUITS

SECTION 8....................................DIRECTIONAL CONTROL VALVE CIRCUITS

SECTION 9..............................................................................FILTER CIRCUITS

SECTION 10............................................................FLOW CONTROL CIRCUITS

SECTION 11...............................................................FLOW DIVIDER CIRCUITS

SECTION 12................................................................FLUID MOTOR CIRCUITS

SECTION 13..........,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,....................INTENSIFIER CIRCUITS

SECTION 14........,,,,,,,,,,,,,.........PROPORTIONAL CONTROL VALVE CIRCUITS

SECTION 15..............................................................................PUMP CIRCUITS

SECTION 16.........................................................REDUCING VALVE CIRCUITS

SECTION 17............................................................REGENERATION CIRCUITS

SECTION 18................................................................RELIEF VALVE CIRCUITS

SECTION 19.....................................................ROTARY ACTUATOR CIRCUITS

SECTION 20........................................................SEQUENCE VALVE CIRCUITS

SECTION 21.............................................SERVO CONTROL VALVE CIRCUITS

SECTION 22...........................................................SYNCHRONIZING CIRCUITS

SECTION 23...........................................................SAMPLE ACTUAL CIRCUITS

INDEX

You will notice it is in alphabetcal order since I could'nt think of any logical order for such an undertaking. The book was originally made to teach an advanced class in circut design for anyone who had completed the Basic class.

It was presented a section at a time in a slightly different manner than normal. The first class was a review of Fluid Power Symbols and components and an assignment to bring a schematic of one of the four typical Accumulator circuits to the class next week. The circuits did not have to be fantastic or even correct and could be from any source the student could find. At the beginning of the second session I collected the circuits for grading before next week. Then I passed out the books with the Accumulator Section and separators that had section titles.

A big plus for the class was I received some circuits from the untrained that were not at all typical and one was awesome. It is in the Flow Divider Section and shows a completely different way to design Regeneration circuits. It was from a Farmer/Maintenance Mechanic (Had to have a paying job to keep the farm running) and I first told him it would,nt work but had to eat crow after studying it between classes.

I said all that so you would know it will be awhile before the book is completed.