Omron C28H Comms problems

dave_gibson

Some help please if you can.

I recently discovered an old omron C28H-C6DR-DE plc hidden in a panel in the factory. I have been trying upload the program from this without any success so far. The PLC is connected to a Omron NT20S HMI via the RS232-C port on the PLC. I have tried communicating with the PLC through the RS232-C port using a Omron XW2Z-200S-CV cable and syswin 3.4 but I can't get to talk with the PLC. Is there a set up issue with the RS232-C port because it is using this to talk to the HMI. If so it is possible to change the settings using a programming console to then allow me to upload the program for backup purposes??

Do I need to aquire a Host link unit for this PLC and if so is the 2G2A6-LK201-EV1 the correct unit?? I am loathe to buy a unit for 1 plc but if needs must then so be it.

Do I have any other options??

All advice and help appreciated.

Cable

I think the cable may be the issue.
Unlike almost any other Omron PLC with a 9 pin port, the H series processors used pin 7 for signal ground, not 9.
Attached is the cable diagram for the C**H processors.
Moving the SG wire from pin 9 to pin 7 on the PLC side of the cable should solve the problem.
You can check the communications parameters of the port through the System menu of the NT20S.

I understand.
This is an old product, and to my knowledge there are no other Omron serial ports that used pin 7 for SG on a 9 pin port.
It would be easy for someone to assume that it was the same pinout as all other Omron 9 pin ports.