Line Tension Consistency

jj28west

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey all,

One more Newbie Question

I just posted up about the same exact line on a separate problem but I have a challenge that several of us at the shop could not figure out.

We have a line where we have a manual payoff, we use a c clamp for back tension, a capstan, a dancer and a takeup winding metal wire and strip.

It occurs whether its soft/hard material.

What we are experiencing is the tension on the line is tight then slacks slightly and then tightens when in dancer mode.

We dont know if its a chicken or the egg thing where a mechanical problem is causing a controls problem or vice versa but we have tach'd the capstan motor/gearbox/universals/sprocket/belt and sheaves/and the material to ensure its not slipping and all test out fine.

We replaced the cylinder on the dancer, verified the linear transducer is working fine, in the process of replacing the regulators, and encoder.

We rebuilt the 3 sheave assemblies on the dancer and we checked the takeup spooler winder belts.

Controls wise everything appears to be running smooth on the drive with respect to the capstan/dancer/takeup spooler. We replaced the drive/board twice just to see if that changed anything to no avail.

Its so frustrating because of the mechanical things we changed out methodically to only change one parameter at a time but to no avail.

Hoping the seasoned veterans may have a way of troubleshooting to isolate why the tension runs tight and then loose and tight again.

It does seem to repeat also and it is also nowhere near as gross when we run in tension mode without the dancer.

Again I am new to the PLC aspect but not to processing continuous materials and never seen anything like it.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and thanks for reading.