Small PLC With Display?

ajmac

Hi all,
I am looking to replace an old set of trip amps that used a complex thermocouple setup that did averaging electrically. I will run back all the 8 thermocouples to the panel and average in the controller so we know the state of each device. Trouble is there is little space and I need a display to replace the old analogue gauge and to show the device faults etc. Is there any controller that can handle TC inputs, three digital outputs and has a rudimentary display to show the 8 temperatures?

I know how I would do it with a basic CompactLogix CPU, 2x IY4, OW4 and a 2711R-T4T but the customer is looking for a dirt cheap solution!

Any thoughts, I only use Rockwell so don't know the market for lower end controllers, haven't even used a MicroLogix yet.

PS. This is in a 1970s relay logic panel.

i doubt there are many all in one controllers that can handle 8 tc inputs. you may look at idec, they have an all in one, but you may have to use an external tc to modbus device and pull the info in like that.

my preference would be to use a click and cheap touchscreen from automation direct.

Another question may be how accurate and repeatable do you want the TC signals?
Specifications have become a little more tight over the years.

Siemens Logo used to allow this, perhaps that's an option? Not sure on the TC inputs though...
There is an 8-channel RTD module for Logo. But it is for Pt100/Pt1000, not thermocouples. So I think it is a dead end.

I suggest to use a Siemens S7-1200 (delivery status 1-2 months) with the 8 channel TC module 6ES7231-5QF32-0XB0 (delivery status 3 months). And for the HMI a KTP400 basic panel (delivery status 1-2 months).
Not as dirt cheap as a Logo, but much less expensive than a compactlogix.

Not sure whether you have found a solution to this, but you could do it with Weintek IO and HMI using CODESYS.
2 x iR-AI04-TR
1 x MT8051iP
Total cost about £450 - £500!!