FactoryTalk View Studio unable to view imported image

Transistor

FactoryTalk View Studio ME version 8.0.

I'm trying to import a simple 31 x 30 pixel .BMP file into a multistate indicator.

Multistate Image Properties | Image settings, Image, ... | Image Browser, Add from file | select image |

Result: ImageSelector "Unable to preview the image 'my image'.

I've tried saving 24-bit, 16-bit and 8-bit versions. No change.

Anyone got any tips?

Try placing (Copy/Paste) the bitmap image directly within the application's (Project) directory Images folder and then browse from within when defining you object's states.

C:\Users\Public\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects\My Project\Images

Thanks guys but no joy yet.
IvPGv5B

IvPGv5B
IvPGv5B.png

1. Image is in the Images folder.
  2. Image selected.
  3. Image preview is working.
  4. Image settings set.
  5. The result!
What next?

You should be able to Scale the object's states image(s) to its graphical size.

First grab the 'handlers' and get the object geometry close to the image 'shape' (more square).

Then go to Object/Properties/States/Image Settings/ -> Check Image Scaled option.

That's just a regular little 'ol image control. There is no rescale option. I tried it on a multi-state too. No joy.

The image file is fine. I created it with a screen grabber, Windows can preview it, Paint can open it and any of my other graphics editors.

Hmmm ...

Try convert it to a .jpg and use it as such.

Better yet, use some of the Symbol Factory objects (Gadget Type); there are plenty of square buttons there, some red, or convertible to red.

That's just a regular little 'ol image control. There is no rescale option. I tried it on a multi-state too. No joy.

The image file is fine. I created it with a screen grabber, Windows can preview it, Paint can open it and any of my other graphics editors.

Hmmm ...

That's not necessarily a good test. I had an image that passed all of the tests but failed in the Rockwell world. Try another image, one that's already there and known to work.

Hmmm ...
I don't know if you found a solution but for future reference take in account that images having an alpha channel (transparency) can be imported into FTV projects but they are not showed on previews or objects. In the case of .bmp files, FTV has some problems with new headers.

If you have problems with any image, try opening and saving it with MS Paint. Most of the information inside the file not useful for FTV will be deleted.

About buttons, be sure there's no problem with the connections and the tags values are inside the valid range. Otherwise it's possible you'll have problems showing the images.

I was having the same symptom, it was driving me crazy. Eventually I restarted FactoryTalk View and was able to import bitmaps and place them in my displays as expected.
*{ user-select: auto !important; }

I've seen that before. This is what worked for me. After creating the object, save and close the display. Then reopen it. It should be displayed properly.

OG

Still a big problem

This remains a frustrating problem. I have tried everything and still have images that will not render, while other do, for no apparent reason

Try saving the BMP file in 8-bit (256-color) format.
I've used imported 8-bit BMPs with no problems. 16-bit and 24-bit color depth might be your problem.

Also, did you import the image from within View Studio? Or did you just drag-and-drop it into the Images folder?

JPG 1600x792

In Paint I cannot save as 8-bit color, the options start at 24 bit. I do not see much benefit from BMP; the files are much bigger and I don't think the images turn out any better.

I ended up doing the following to add a full screen image:
- Obtain my image in the highest resolution possible
- Resize the image to 1600x792, which is approximately the width (1600 pixels) and height remaining after header and footer (792 pixels)
- Save as JPG
- Import into FT View SE images
- Add the image
- Set display properties to scale (not pan) and set the size to 1600x792

This turns out pretty well, but a little fuzzy when there is small text