Micro800 2085-OF4 - No 4-20mA Current Output

rbarbee

I'm using an AB 2085-OF4 module for outputting process current control to various VFDs. When using this device, I have the channels configured for 0-20mA, but I am controlling the output to be between 4-20mA. I am using all 4 channels of the card. Images attached of the setup and PLC logic.

Channels 0, 1, and 3 don't seem to be outputting any current at all to the VFDs. Channel 2, however, does appear to be outputting valid 4-20mA when requested.

Using a process meter (Fluke 789), I attempt to measure the output of card and do not get an output on any channels (including the good one). I changed the output of the card to voltage and changed the wire over to the appropriate point and am able to read a valid output value.

I am really confused on why voltage, but not current, will work on this card. Is it a bad device? The diagnostic LED does not indicate any fault.

Is there anything else I could check or do to fix this?

2085-of4_config.PNG 2085-of4-logic.PNG

When in current mode, what output voltage do you get for various current settings? If always > 5~10 V, then you need to check on the receiving end for proper loop resistance.

If it's useful to anyone else, this module still has a glitch whereby if the you remove the wire, it seems like the channel output gets disabled on the 4-20mA configuration. I don't know if this applies to the 0-10V as well.

To fix, I redownloaded the program. I don't know if there is a less invasive way to reset it. Rockwell really should fix this problem as this isn't typical behavior from what I've seen on the 1769 series of controllers.

If it's useful to anyone else, this module still has a glitch whereby if the you remove the wire, it seems like the channel output gets disabled on the 4-20mA configuration. I don't know if this applies to the 0-10V as well.

To fix, I redownloaded the program. I don't know if there is a less invasive way to reset it. Rockwell really should fix this problem as this isn't typical behavior from what I've seen on the 1769 series of controllers.

Create a push button on the HMI to toggle a bit that will move 3848 into the control bit of that specific AO card, reset that back to 0 after 2 seconds. See attached picture.

20220719_155640.jpg

Just ran across this issue. IS this really a thing? WOW. Is there a better way to fix this issue than a button on a screen?