GE Fanuc | Series 90-30 | IC693CPU374

qwemx

Dear Experts

I need to connect to this CPU 374
It seems it is a GE Fanuc PLC
I want to know if I will require any specefic cable - from the information on the internet it looks like it has ethernet ports so communication should be possible with ethernet cable (Upload/Download)

I have Proficy Machine edition Version 7.0 will that be able to communicate with the CPU. I am working for the first time on the GE PLCs

Screenshot_1.png

The CPU374 has an ethernet port. As long as the computer running Proficy is set for a compatible IP address you should be able to communicate. Proficy version 7 is a bit old, so there is a chance that the PLC was originally programmed using a newer version. In that case, you won't be able to upload from the PLC to Proficy.
There is also a serial port on the power supply module. That will require RS485/RS232 converter, but when you don't know the IP address of the CPU374, it provides an alternate communications path.

Thank you for the answer as you have mentioned that V7.0 is old therefore I am also trying to get Proficy Machine edition V9+. If I have the latest one which is 9.x Will I be able to connect with a CPU programmed by an older version ?

You will always be able to connect, no matter the version of Proficy, but you can not upload from the PLC if the program in the PLC was created using a newer version than what you are currently running on the computer. In that situation you will not be able to monitor the program to see what's going on.

Last edited:
Since I must be able to upload and monitor to do the Job, I will be getting the newest Proficy.
Is the newest version backward compatible? which is if I have Proficy V9 and the PLC is programmed using V7 , Can I upload from the PLC into the V9?

or I need to have the exact same version for the uploading to work?

Last edited:
I also asked a supplier for the communication cable and I got a quote for 1000 USD plus for a cable part # HE693SNPCBLD . Will it be necessary to buy this cable because I have a serial cable and serial to USB convertor If this cable has a wiring diagram I can make one myself because the cost is so expensive

he693snpcbl.jpg

I also asked a supplier for the communication cable and I got a quote for 1000 USD plus for a cable part # HE693SNPCBLD . Will it be necessary to buy this cable because I have a serial cable and serial to USB convertor If this cable has a wiring diagram I can make one myself because the cost is so expensive

if you look at the pinouts, these are specific rs422 with multiple channels of 422/485 and have external power from the plc in the form of 5v on one of the pins. It would be quite the endeavor to try to get something else to just work with it. you should probably look for any alternative that says it works with a ge 90-30. I remember I couldn't get an 800 dollar cable approved at some point and opted to buy an ebay one for 40 and it worked to communicate as advertised.

Pin Number Signal Name Direction
1, 3, 7 [0V] Ground N/A
2, 5 [+5V] VCC N/A
4 No Connection N/A
6 [CTS-} Clear to Send Input
8 [RTS+] Request to Send Output
9, 10 [TXD-] Transmit Data Output
11 [TXD+] Transmit Data Output
12 [RXD-] Receive Data Input
13 [RXD+] Receive Data Input
14 [CTS+] Clear to Send Input
15 [RTS-] Request to Send Output
Table 2 – 9-pin Port

Pin Number Signal Name Direction
2 [TXD] Transmit Data Output
3 [RXD] Receive Data Input
5 [GND] Ground N/A
7 [CTS] Clear to Send Input
8 [RTS] Request to Send Output

My company has purchased the cable from plccable.com it was purchased via some other vendor who added a little markup onto the original price. Is there a way to test the cable without PLC