Micrologix 1000 query

Manthan

Hi all,

We have a very old pit pump system running on Micrologix 1000. Now, whenever there is an alarm for high conductivity, we want that alarm log into our computer with time and date. Does anyone has any idea, how to achieve that?

What could be the most reliable and efficient solution?

So, you have some work ahead of you. The ML1000 was discontinued back in 2017. It talked RS232 DF1 and DH-485. I would probably start with a Red Lion HMI (CR3000-series) or DSP/PtV as a first option. They support datalogging and, though our IT policies kept me from ever testing it, can do ftp to log to a database. Last time I checked, though, availability was awful for all of their stuff.
Another option is to use a PC-based SCADA system. If you want to talk to the PLC, you will need to run the software on a PC that has a serial port or a DH-485 adapter connected. If you go with serial, it should be pretty reliable but also has to be pretty close to the PLC (look up the max distance for RS232...). I think DH-485 can be farther away but the DH-485 adapters I've used sometimes take some fiddling to reconnect, especially with their COM port identification. Windows doesn't always reassign the same COM port number to the adapter. If you have a suitable PC laying around, you can download AdvancedHMI for free and use the free Express version of Visual Basic to get some basic stuff going.
Another, possibly better, option is to use an output from the PLC to trigger an input to an IOT type device that can communicate via Ethernet to <something> that logs to a database. We have a system managed by an outside company that uses Advantech ADAM-6251 modules connected to the company network to read pulses from machines that can't talk directly. Something like that could work for you as well.

We have ADAM-6251, SHOPLOGIX in the plant. That was the easiest and fastest solution I gave. But, management doesn't want to go with that. May be, in future they want to expand graphics and everything.

I was thinking to install Slave radio which will be connected to PLC via RS232. And master radio for SCADA application. Or RS232 to ethernet adapter which will be connected to network.

Major concern for me is, is there any SCADA application which is compatible with M1000. The best I could find VT SCADA which supports M1100-1500.
Do you have anything in mind, which can be configured to M1000?

Swap the 1000 for a 1400 and get two serial ports, Ethernet, and an active mature product that you can support with new parts for at least a few more years.

Swap the 1000 for a 1400 and get two serial ports, Ethernet, and an active mature product that you can support with new parts for at least a few more years.

Best solution.

I've had Advanced HMI talking to a serial-only MicroLogix before, but it was a long time ago. Like 2008 or so.

We also have ShopLogix. I would be really surprised if they couldn't read data straight out of an ML1400 via Ethernet.

MicroLogix 1000 has a perfectly good serial port that supports DF1 and DH485 protocols. You can connect up to it with any serial modem, or a radio modem.

Does management just want a data log for this one pit pump, or do they want to bring that conductivity alarm data into their ShopLogix facilities management and analytics software system ?

What format do they want the data log in ? Just a text file ? An entry into an Excel document ? An entry into a table in an SQL database ?

A lot of modern IOT and SCADA systems start with the EtherNet/IP protocol used by the MicroLogix 1100 and 1400 instead of going to the trouble of connecting to legacy serial systems.

If you've got a TCP/IP network near this controller, either WiFi or radiomodems or ordinary Ethernet, then you can get a purpose-built "EtherNet/IP to DF1" converter equivalent to the old 1761-NET-ENI.

The Net-ENI would even power straight from the MicroLogix port (which has a +24V DC pin on it). A modern equivalent is available from Real Time Automation, part number 515RTAENI.

Or if you've got a SCADA system that does support good old DF1 Full Duplex, you can use a commercial off-the-shelf serial server that doesn't know anything about industrial protocols. Presumably you want something fairly rugged like a LanTronix UDS1100 or Moxa NPort 5110. From your ShopLogix or SCADA system perspective, they're just using whatever COM Port Redirector utility the vendor provides.

If your question is "what SCADA platform is right for my site and purpose", that's a bigger question.

Any platform that is more than a toy is going to support OPC and OPC-UA if it doesn't have an A-B serial driver, so buying an install of Automation Toolbox or Kepware for this controller should be a tiny component of your sitewide SCADA architecture and budget.

Because the answer to "what SCADA should I choose" on this forum is "Inductive Automation IGNITION", I will note that MicroLogix and SLC-500 controllers with only serial ports are supported by the "MicroLogix via Net-ENI" driver with the browse option disabled, and of course a Net-ENI or equivalent. To my knowledge, Ignition doesn't support direct serial connectivity via DF1 protocol.