Visual basic application with RSLogix 500

arup_basu

Question No. 1:
I am using RSLogix 500 which at its 'Tool' menu has 'Visual Basic'-'Run Macro',Visual Basic Editor' and 'properties widows' options.
I want to know:
A. Where these are used from application points of view.
B. Is it possible to get some application example with these options.
Question No.2 :
I have an experience of PLC application program developments for packaging machines using RSLogix 500, S-5,S-7 along with operater interfaces PV-300,TD-17 etc.
With the above background for wider PLC based application, what are the software language one must know? Is it C++, TC++, VC++, or Visual Basic ? Please suggest the exact and essential requirements.
Question No. 3 :
Now a days most laptop computer comes with 25 pin serial port or USB port. But the the communication cable, between PLC and PC, supplied by AB is of 9 pin- how to solve the problem?

Arup Basu

arup_basu said:
Question No. 3 :
Now a days most laptop computer comes with 25 pin serial port or USB port. But the the communication cable, between PLC and PC, supplied by AB is of 9 pin- how to solve the problem?

Where did you find a "now a days" laptop with a 25-pin serial port??? I had one once, but that was a LONG time ago. 9-pin seems to be (finally) becoming the standard, and that's why the A-B cable is 9-pin. You can use a standard 9-pin to 25-pin adapter with gender changers on both ends. Or, if you're ambitious, you could make one...

9-Pin 25-Pin
Carrier Detect 1 8
Receive Data 2 3
Transmit Data 3 2
Data Terminal Ready 4 20
System Ground 5 7
Data Set Ready 6 6
Request to Send 7 4
Clear to Send 8 5
Ring Indicator 9 22

You can probably get by with just the 2-3, 3-2, and 5-7 connections.

beerchug

-Eric

NOTE: New laptops that DO NOT have a serial port MAY OR PROBABLY WILL HAVE a 25 pin printer port. That cannot be used to connect to plc's etc.

Programming

Unfortunetly (for me at least), ive found that other languages are not used very often or not at all in most PLCs. I hear that control logix has some ability to use C code. But as far as the wider application, HMI and Scada stuff seems to prefer VB, or some twisted version of it, as thier base language. It is also handy to know a bit about databases as well. A little ethernet fundementals doesnt hurt either, especailly as more and more PLCs move to ethernet comms.

Matt

Those tools are used for the embedded VBA in RSLogix Professional. If you don't have Pro, then the buttons are useless.

RS has added VBA to RSLogix just like it is in Word or Excel, it is useful to automate your day-day tasks. You may be able to write a HMI of a sort, but I haven't tried it. My experience was with versions before 5.0 which exposed the object model to windows and you could manipulate it with straight VB.

I forgot to mention that if your laptop does not have a serial port built in there are several options.
1. USB to serial adapter, works in many cases but there are situations where it will not...the AB 1747-PIC being one.
2. PCMCIA to serial adapter, this works better in many cases. Quatech makes one that many here have used http://www.quatech.com/catalog/rs232_pcmcia.php
3. PCMCIA adapters created by PLC manufacturers. AB has the 1784-PCMK that connects to DH-485, DH+, and RIO. http://www.ab.com/manuals/cn/1784-um519b-en-p.pdf
Siemens has the CP5511 which I understand will connect to the S5, S7 and OP interfaces. http://www4.ad.siemens.de/dnl/TAxMTIwNwAA_13654593/pi_cp5511_74.pdf Siemens has or will release an MPI/DP adapter that connects via USB that requires Win2K or XP and communicates at 1.5M. There is a thread on this that I cant locate it but I have notes on it. The part number is 6ES7 972-0CB20-0XA0.

I use the PCMK, CP5511, and the Belkin USB to serial adapter. The USB/serial works ok with Automationdirect, GE Fanuc. AB RS232 ports. I also have some GE Series One/Siemens 305 (330 CPU) that requires a DCU which works with the USB/serial adapter.

I would think the need for programming language(s) would depend on what you are doing or may be doing in the future. Seems that VB/VBA has become very popular but I imagine C++ and java will be used alot too.

arup_basu said:
With the above background for wider PLC based application, what are the software language one must know? Is it C++, TC++, VC++, or Visual Basic ? Please suggest the exact and essential requirements.
Arup Basu

Opinion:
In my mind C++ is not good for application programming, it is good when something can not do with VB. But if you are very very familiar with C++, why not.
I'm not sure is it possible handel ActiveX controls with VBA-scripts, I think not. So Visual Basic 5.0 or 6.0 is the best application tool.

Here is exampe for VC++ , C++ is good for this kind of stuff. http://www.kolumbus.fi/sepala/Jazzy.exe

para programar en rslogix y utilisar vba se necesita saber algo de visual basic ya que es el mismo entorno solo que programas directamente al plc es decir activar un bit y jalar un formulario de vb despues en formulario colocar una respuesta y activar una salida del plc por decir algo yo tengo conocimientos de visual basic pero aun no tengo los comandos para activar entradas y salidas del plc pero ya estoy en eso

que tal lahg18, has tenido algun progreso con vb apps dentro de rslogix? yo tambien estoy tratando de hacer una aplicacion pero no he encontrado como "linkear" las direcciones del plc con vb..

Que tal mr reyes aun sigo en proceso de investigacion ya tengo el manual de interface pero no he tenido tiempo de leerlo nadamas que tenga avance le tendre respuesta con ejemplos