OT- Wiring of mcb in a panel

cjd1965

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi
I have been asked to install a panel, supplied by my head ofice overseas. It has CE marking approvals etc

The mcb's all have the supply in the bottom and load out the top. The drawings show power in the top and load out the bottom which is what i would expect.

I realise a AC mcb doesnt really care and will trip if it connected in reverse.

Is there any EN references that say it should be wired in to the top--out at the bottom? Or is it simply a good practice thing

Unless the MCB says it must be top wired it should be ok. Check the documentation well first. It is not a written rule to wire in the top that I am aware just good practice.

If you do bottom feed the breaker for safety of life please document the hell out of it. On the panel front and interior and on the guarding of the breaker terminals if you can. make sure it can not be missed.

I would avoid bottom feeding if at all possible though. It's just not worth the risk IMHO.

Hi
Thanks for your reply. I never bottom feed and if i had inspected the panel i would have rejected it on the grounds of safety.
My issue is the guy at head office cannot see it as a problem.

In my 30+ yrs of working in controls I have always understood the practice is dangerous.

Cheers

I say it is a very dangerous practice. I know of at least one electrican that was killed due to this practice. It was a large plant (name withheld due to possible liabilities), and one the 12.6 KV main breakers had to be replaced on emergency basis with a different model. The old cables were too short to wire the new breaker properly, so management approved wiring it reversed, with incoming power on the bottom of the breaker.

The mis-wired breaker was forgotten until years later, an outside contractor was brought in to do some work on a downstream circuit. A contractor electrican went to double check if the locked-out 12.6 KV breaker was indeed dead. He stuck his HV probe where he normally would on the bottom, and caused an arc that resulted in him being burned to death. I think if the hot wires had been on top, he would still be alive.

Last edited:
Hi
I agree it is dangerous and I have never seen it done in 30+ years of sticking my head inside control panels. However I am being seen as a whinger from head office where the electrical guys dont see it as a problem... which is why i was asking for a CE/EN reference to throw back at them.

If I did a panel inspection I would reject the panel however it has been factory tested and inspected at the panel shop, and shipped to me... so I am thinking someone is worried about admitting fault

Cheers

As I said there is nothing that states that you can't bottom feed because it is a legal method of wiring and a lot of european equipment is done like this. There are some things that have to be done like this but it should be avoided if at all possible.

I can likely jump from the bed of my pickup to the ground and not get hurt but that still does not make it a good idea or a good practice. Just because you can do something does not mean that you should. The NEC / NFPA / UL are minimum standards your goal should be to design above standard when possible.

I would not want a piece of equipment built to just Bare NEC standards as it would likely be a PITA IMHO others may disagree and YMMV.

You have to drill this into the guy's head somehow. he sounds like an idiot to me. Why would you design something in a way that would be a possible life safty issue when you don't have to? It makes zero % sense. Those are the type of people who have no buisness working in this industry. Feel free to show him this post. Rant off:

I would agree that bottom feeding MCBs in a control panel is a definite no no. Distribution boards tend to be different, where bottom feed is common.
In 1998 my youngest brother was killed as he was working on a control panel with one MCB supplied from the bottom, which was the circuit he was working on, where all others were fed from the top, . Someone had fitted this MCB to supply an adjacent electric door, and that person has no idea that he has caused someones death.
It does not take much to stop a persons heart rythm, and in this case there was no dramatic burning or sparking but he died nonetheless.
I had to identify him in the morgue, an experience I will never forget.

I am very sorry to learn about your brother, Liam.

Maybe he can serve here as an example and save someone's life.

I can't see where this practice could ever be justified. There is too much room for bad things to happen. I don't know of any code or standard that prohibits this, but codes should not be the only consideration. Sometimes common sense is better than all codes.

Last edited:
Liam, just to be clear, what I meant was to have enough common sense to not wire a cricuit breaker in an abnormal fashion, even if it is not illegal and not prohibited by any code.

Liam, I'm very sorry for your loss. That cannot have been easy.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

It does not make what I am about to type any easier.

From what I am reading, a lot has been mentioned about the dangers of bottom supplied circuit breakers. While not common practice, it is not unheard of or to be assumed non-existent.

The Plc Kid, I know it was a rant, but in post #6, your first and last paragraphs are highly contradictory? It cannot be both a legal method of wiring and also a life safety issue? The latter would not allow the former. What is normal practice one side of the globe may be outlawed on the other. But your mis-understanding the real and common danger here.

This is something I have always tried to teach apprentices I have worked with.

The danger is from what is flowing through the circuit breaker, not how. Unfortunately, assumptions and a certain amount of complacency is what injures or kills in these cases. Lessons, such as Liam's brother, should be learned from, but for a different reason than most of you are thinking.

With the exception of Lancie1's case, as I've never worked on HV systems, so I don't know the regs, or what PPE and test equipment should have been used. This should have been clearly marked is the least I will say on it.

You should never assume a circuit is dead just because a breaker is off. The dangerous practice is not testing the circuit with a meter, not someone else wiring it incorrectly, oppositely, against the drawings, even regs. It's your life, it's your responsibility.

Walking up to a distribution board, or panel, and turning off the required breaker is not enough to proceed to begin disconnection. Even if you have checked it at the circuit breaker, or fuse, on what you think is the load side, and it is dead, always check it at the point of disconnection as well. This Liam, is good sense, but alas, not common sense. It's a simple rule which may save a life.

I've had to learn this lesson the hard way. I received too many jolts in my earlier years through assumptions and complacency.

I once isolated and tested a 3 phase breaker load side and then proceeded to disconnect the 3 phases at an external j-box. I got the first one out no problems, but when I disconnected the second, I ended up with 380vac across my chest. I managed to pull free, but left a lump of one of my fingers behind. I wasn't right for 2 days. I had shakes in my right arm for a long time. I had turned off what was an incorrectly labeled breaker for something else. I didn't check the voltage at the point of disconnection. In this case the breaker was top fed, but it demonstrates how the assumptions we make go beyond even the direction of the supply.

There may or may not be regulations that state what way you feed anything, but it's the supply that may kill you, not what way it's flowing.

Yes, people should be safety conscious, and follow good practices and regs, and drawings for whatever region of the world they work in. But inevitably you will most likely come across someones "different" wiring at some stage in your career.

As Liam mentioned, DBs and even domestic consumer units are bottom fed here. If you do domestic, commercial and industrial electrical work you will meet all sorts of circuits, and I have. But my meter always goes on the point of disconnection.

I worked on a old panel today with top fed MCBs. I replaced a burnt out contactor coil. Yesterday I had to replace a burnt out bottom fed socket circuit MCB on my wife's parents board. A loose connection had caused a ring main to burn off at the load side of the MCB. But the same rule applies, they are both live circuits until I ensure they are not at the point of disconnection.

Circuit breaker, fuse, or electronic fuse manufacturer's wiring specifications are what you should follow with regard to how you supply them. But beware, many allow supply from both sides.

To answer the opening question, they are perfectly entitled to specify this wiring configuration. Once the selected equipment and local regs allow it. It does not need to be labeled anymore or less than any other circuit. Its drawings need not be anymore specific to the fact than any other, once they are accurate. You read drawings and labels as guides to what has been done, but only guides. You determine for yourself when it is safe to work on, not anyone or anything else.

I've attached 2 examples of well known breaker manufacturers wiring option notes. I also added the consumer unit and offending MCB from yesterday for good measure.

The only assumption you should make is that it is not dead until you make sure it is. If it always was, then it always will be, should not be your mantra.

G.

MCBs.jpg

Sorry, I was tired writing that first reply. I forgot to advise on the drawings for the panel in question here.

Basically, what I was saying is, it is ok to wire this panel as it is now, once it follows the regulations and manufacturer specifications. Whether it should have been, or not, is a question only you and your superiors can answer. If the panel should have been wired to the specification of the drawings you have for it, then a decision has to be made.

Do we leave it wired incorrectly to the original specification and amend the drawings?

I would advise no.

Or, do we rewire the panel as it was originally intended?

I would advise yes.

Whether this decision is yours or not, I'm not sure, but who ever decides this, do not put this panel into service with incorrect drawings. That would be a seriously dangerous practice. Someone made a mistake here. Do not let them make a financial decision on this to save money or time, or force you to do it later.

This project further highlights what I'm trying to emphasize here. This is one example we are fortunate to read about in one thread, on one forums. Imagine all the possible scenarios out there, where this, and potentially worse is being done, without our knowledge? Any of us in this business can possibly meet this kind of "different" wiring.

From a safety point of view, whether it should, could, or would happen, is irrelevant. Even if this panel is installed somewhere with incorrect wiring for the standards of that region, and it has incorrect drawings, you do not trust what is in front of you implicitly. Always double check it for yourself before working on it.

I am always passionate about safety, that is why I stress it so much. It saddens me whenever I read of such an unnecessary waste of life. I am only trying to advise people to what I feel is the right mentality to approaching their work safely.
Whether you choose to do this or not is your own decision, but lets hope it's not your last.

Respectfully yours,
G.

Last edited:
With the exception of Lancie1's case, as I've never worked on HV systems, so I don't know the regs, or what PPE and test equipment should have been used. This should have been clearly marked is the least I will say on it.
At the time it happened (1990's) there were very few standards in the US on arc-flash requirements. This case was considered in the later implementation of the arc-flash standards, with requirements for protective equipment (gloves, face shield, hoods, and so on depending on the voltage level of the breaker or switch).

However, the real reason the accident happened (breaker reverse fed) was swept under the rug, because there were too many companies who benefited from allowing that unsafe practice. Instead a host of new regulations allowed a bunch of safety companies to make new expensive arc-flash equipment, while others continued to make breakers that could be fed from either end.

That is one thing to ask when you see a stupid situation like this: who benefits from allowing it to continue?