SLC 150 & Square D

bbishop108

Yes you read that correctly, I have been tasked with updating a few of the machines at my job. One of the machines has a SLC 150, and 2 of them have a Square D Micro 1. As such I will be replacing all of them with MicroLogix 1100. My questions are: what, if any, software/cables are available to allow me to connect to each of these plcs so I can get the current programs out so I can update them for the new plcs??? If there is anything available, should I even waste time/money for the sole purpose of retrieving the current programs? I fear that I won't be able to do this as these are very obsolete, which means I will have to completely rewrite those machines programs. Thanks

For the SLC-150, you'll need a serial interface box called a 1745-PCC and a DOS computer with a serial port.

And you've come to the right place for info on that; a Forum member has extensive experience with setting up VirtualBox and the PCIS software with a USB version of the 1745-PCC that he sells.

https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-plc-slc-100-150-usb-1745-pcc-cable/

In my opinion it's worth the money to get one of those and upload current versions of the program, just so you can get the understanding of how the machine operates now. You'll have create the new code in RSLogix 500 manually, as there's no 150 -> 500 converter.

Yes you read that correctly, I have been tasked with updating a few of the machines at my job. One of the machines has a SLC 150, and 2 of them have a Square D Micro 1. As such I will be replacing all of them with MicroLogix 1100. My questions are: what, if any, software/cables are available to allow me to connect to each of these plcs so I can get the current programs out so I can update them for the new plcs??? If there is anything available, should I even waste time/money for the sole purpose of retrieving the current programs? I fear that I won't be able to do this as these are very obsolete, which means I will have to completely rewrite those machines programs. Thanks
Unless you have an old DOS based computer with a real serial port it would probably be easier to just observe and note the details of the machines as they are currently functioning. I have the software and cabling for both somewhere.

the AB ICOM software for the SLC's is now activation free if you can find somebody with a copy you can use.
It will only run on a DOS machine it dos work on DOS or windows 98 VM Machine
the communication on the software will only support com 1 or com 2
i see on the cable shown that is a USB cable DOS machines don't support USB so the VM Machine is the way to go
one trick I have found is to plug the USB adaptor or cable in to your windows machine and then reconfigure the USB com port to be assigned to com 1 or com 2
then in the VM make sure the port shows up as come 1 or com 2
i have that setup that way now.

And you've come to the right place for info on that; a Forum member has extensive experience with setting up VirtualBox and the PCIS software with a USB version of the 1745-PCC that he sells.

https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-plc-slc-100-150-usb-1745-pcc-cable/

Thanks Ken!

Gary are you sure ICOM works with the 150/100 PLC's ?

bbishop108, Ken is correct, we sell a USB or serial version and you can find the setup on our support page and comes with the USB cable, its all free so you just need a PCC cable then you can upload the program

For the Micro1 you will need the cable, see the link below... and the software is WindLDR and also just upload the program and convert it

https://www.plccable.com/idec-micro1-plc-programming-cable-usb-fc1a-cla-micro-1-square-d/

I dont think it will be hard to convert either over to the 1100 as neither were really sophisticated PLC's so the logic is straight forward from all the programs I have seen

I have everything running on Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines

Best of luck!
Mark

To answer you question the ICOM software dose work. it is the original software used with SLC100/150. They were later bought out by Rockwell. But as I said before it will only run under DOS it will work in windows u to XP they are DOS based operating systems.
The ICOM SLC software only supports com 2 or com 2 for communications so you have to configure any port to be either of those. You can upload, download and edit with it. There is no online editing of the SLC line so edits have to edit offline and download. there are also no tags , symbols or descriptions in the program just the raw logic program. There in no conversion to convert the program to anything else so you will have to do it all manually. That shouldn't be to difficult those programs generally short and just logic as stated.
i have been able to run it in a 98 VM machine but i had a few challenges to work out the hardest was the communications.

i have been able to run it in a 98 VM machine but i had a few challenges to work out the hardest was the communications.

Thanks for the reply... If I were bbishop108 I would just stay with the PCIS software and you can run it on any platform under DOSbox and no issues and you can use USB

I would love to help you as I have everything you need to talk to both PLCs (I’ve worked in a lot of facilities with ancient equipment), but New Jersey is a long way from Indiana. If I can be of any help, just let me know.

Wow this is great information, thanks everyone for the replies. I will have to present all this info to my boss to see if he wants me to explore these options. The current machines aren't too complicated, programming wise, so I suspect he will want to just have me program these from the beginning. Thanks again!!!

As to the Sq. D Micro 1, that was brand-labeled from Idec, who sold it for a lot longer than Sq. D did as the FC1A Micro PLC. The Idec software worked on both versions and Idec supported it long enough for there to be a USB cable for it.