Changing IP Addresses Online

Prayder

Lifetime Supporting Member
Using studio 5000 with 1756-L71 and 1756-ENBT cards. Is it possible to change all IP Addresses that are being used for a plc, drives, enbt cards, etc while the machine being controlled by said PLC is still operating or does the machine have to be "down"

Changing an IP address is going to break all the connections for that device. Do it for a 1756-ENBT that's controlling I/O and all the connections will stop until you also go through and reconfigure all the devices and their connections.

Since you have to reconfigure the target IP addresses for all the devices in the I/O tree, and that can't be done online, it makes sense to plan a shutdown of the machine.

Thank you! I was sure that was the answer but have someone telling me that it could be done online as long as the gateway address was set... which does not make sense to me!