Micrologix PLC to Telesis Printer TMC470

This example clears the output string, loads the 2 starting ascii characters stored in N7:0 (which can be edited and monitored using the ascii radix). The string length must be updated before concatenating the serial number string. The example serial number is only a rudimentary conversion of an integer to string. Instead of adding more code to finish the string, use the AWA to add the termination characters automatically. This is configured in the PLC Channel properties.

Although this was done using the RS500 Emulate, it works pretty much the same for MLX and SLCs.

TM470_Serial.PNG

Last edited:
One method of printing is to have only one serial control or TCP message output. Even for complex printing of batch reports. This provides a central point of communication and an easy location to start troubleshooting. The variable is handled by a single string that is sent to the output. The output string can be manipulated in any way and whatever goes into that string is what goes out the com port.

For printing to common thermal, laser, dot matrix, or whatever printer that can take raw text, it helps to have a buffer array of strings that can be copied to the output string one at a time when it's time to print. The more memory the PLC has, the more buffer strings can be stored. For example, 1 page is usually 60 lines of 80 character strings.

Used 5000, not 500 for Telesis 420s, 470s and Pannier AC500s. For the 470s we used programmable interface for all until I started there. This device seemed to be giving us lots of problems throughout the plant so bought a ASCII module for point io and wrote new logic to use the extended protocol so we could close the loop(issue was operators were saying the telesis would print the wrong serial number). We had to send two strings, then we would read each string. If they matched then we fired the discrete output to start. I can try and find some logic to send you for reference if you think it would be helpful.

I totally understand your stresses of having to deal with these dot peen printers. Never got to try Telesis's newish one, the 600.

I'm heading onsite tomorrow morning to try the serial communication setup we discussed in this forum... I really appreciate the help from everyone who replied thus far !! I may add another post or 2 to fine tune if I get the 2 systems talking!