Converting from Compact Logix to Control Logix

paulB

I have a PLC program with Compact Logix processor (L32E), which I would like to use as template for new project, which will have Control Logix processor (L61). What is the most efficient way to do it?
I understand that I have to create I/O cofiguration manually. Then all tasks have to be created manually. And then copy / paste all programs and tags from one program to another one by one.
Are there better way to do this?

Thank you,

PaulB.

Lord no, that is way too much trouble!

Just go to controller properties and change the controller from L32E to L61. It will goof up your I/O and you will have to re-create it (as you already know). Try it out then click the verify button to see what errors were created.

If you ever want to get routines or programs from one .ACD to another, just right click on the routine or the program and export it. It will bring in all necessary tags/UDT'/AOI's with it. The only thing is doesn't do is bring in their values.

edit: results may vary depending on what version you are working with.

If I understand correctly, just make a copy of the project and change the processor type to ControlLogix. It will of course delete all your I/O. But it keeps the rest.

I have made typical mistake, did not provide enough information.
Compact Logix project is in version 18. The new Control Logix project needs to be in version 17. When I trying to "change processor" in controller properties only revision available are 18 and 19.
I was thinking maybe some exporting/importing tricks will do job.

You'll have to export it to an .L5K file and edit some of the header info.

TN 33852 - RSLogix 5000 : Converting a Project to a previous version

Last edited:
The part that you have to edit is line 12 in the L5K. It will look something like this (mine was V19):

IE_VER := 2.10;
You might need to change it to 2.7. Then launch RSL5K, file>open, select your edited L5K. Then it will ask you to select an ACD, at this point you will see a drop down box in the bottom left corner of the window showing the revision, you should be able to select a previous version.

I've been toying around with V19 lately and it seems that I don't need to go through the process of editing the L5K, I just have to export it and then import it and it will let me select whatever version I have installed. Maybe 18 is the same?

edit: FYI, this won't always work. I know if you have Produced/Consumed tags created it will not work and probably some other advanced configurations. I think it will log an error when it is restoring the L5K and will not complete (if I remember right).

Last edited:
DMROEDER,

Did I understand you correctly? Do you think if I convert my existing project from V18 to V19,then from version 19 I will be able to downgrade it to version V17?

PaulB

DMROEDER,

Did I understand you correctly? Do you think if I convert my existing project from V18 to V19,then from version 19 I will be able to downgrade it to version V17?

PaulB

Not exactly (I didn't explain it very well). It seems that I don't have to edit the L5K file in order to convert it to a previous version when the L5K was generated in V19.

I took my V19 program, exported it to an L5K, and when I was importing it, I noticed that I could select any version that I had installed (without having edited the L5K). In previous versions, I had to open the L5K, change line 12, save it. Then when I imported it, I could select a previous version.

Clear as mud?

My guess (without doing some testing) is that if you change that line in the L5K file to 2.10, then you could restore it to whatever version you want. It probably doesn't matter what version the L5K was generated in. Total guess though...

I have converted existing project to V19 then save it as L5K file. When I have tried to import that l5k file all revision from 15 to 19 were available. I have selected revision 17. Import failed with the message:
Error: Local: Module import failed:
No additional error information available.
Import aborted. Module import failed

When I have tried to import to V16 Import failed with the message:

Error: Local: Add-On Profile reported a module import failure.
Error: Line 393: Add-On Profile reported a module import failure.
Complete - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

There is something that was not supported in earlier firmware versions most likely.

Like I said before, there are situations that doesn't work. I don't think this was intended as an official way to go back revisions, it was just a workaround. I think the proper way is to do it by hand, either exporting/importing rungs/programs or even copying rungs/tags. There are catches there too.

Your best bet is to get your master program at the lowest FW level that you will think you will use, then upgrade it from there as necessary. Going backwards is always a pain.