PV 300 4.20 frn C & Micro 1500 LRP C Comms DF1

chakorules

Hmm...I've got a mystery I can't figure out.

I have a machine last week that I used a PV 300 and Micro 1500 on DF1 to talk to each other using "SOME" cable...I took pictures and I see that I used the Mini Din on the Micro 1500 and of course the only DB-9 connector on the PV 300 (DF1). I also see my CP3 cable connected on the SIDE of the Micro 1500 LRP, so that is where I was programming the Micro.

But two weeks later, I got the same job again, DUP, and I couldn't figure out which cable I ordered, so I got (guessed) a 2711-CBL-HM05 cable which is a DIN on one end and DB-9 on the other to connect the PV and Micro together using DF1. When I do that I get the old 686 Panel View Offline error. I used that SAME cable to download my program from the PC to Micro 1500, so I think the cable (2711-CBL-HM05) cable is good. But I can not get the pv and micro to talk to each other.

My comm settings are the same in both the PV and Micro as they where last week. 19,200 N/8/1 CRC, no hand etc..Micro Node 1, PV Node 2.

Right now, I've got the PV 300 and Micro 1500 talking with a rat shack straight through cable from the DB-9 PV to the DB-9 Micro LRP side RS-232 comm port...

Weird...Am I using the right cable? Everyone else seems to think so.

And..I used to have a COOL paper that showed all the cables for the micro logix, does anyone have that linked on Ab's website? I can not find it again. It was a paper that showed a graphic image of all the micrologix cables, and part numbers under the graphic image. I thought this paper was helpful if I could find it again.

yup rsdoran, that's a great chart. But still doesn't solve my mystery.

I wonder if Ken Roach has some insight...I bet he is hooking this up on his desk right now. Did you get that Ken?

PV 300 DF1, 4.20 FRN series C with a Micro 1500 LRP series C using a 2711-CBL-PM05 cable....I got my bets that it's a bug or something. My last week MicroLogix 1500 LRP was a series B.

I am using the lastest RS Linx to talk to the series C MicroLogix, so I am pretty sure everything "software" wise is working ok.

Here's just a guess in the dark.Try one of those 9 pin null
modem adapters in case the RX-TX lines need to be switched.

grs,

Looks like that's the last time I listen to my local ab guy. You re right. What I must have purchased last week was this nc21 (5m) cable. Not the PM05 (5m) cable. According to the manuals you linked, the nc21 is not a null modem or null modem not required. Thank you for posting this information.

also thanks for finding that graphics and part number reference again for me. I thought it was a tech not in the KB at AB.com.

jrwb4gbm,

You guess "would have worked". All though I have not tried it yet. But I know for a fact now thanks to grs confirming I am spacing it, and used a wrong cable. Apparently the nc21 cable is a straight through, NON null modem.