VMWare, RSLinx and USB cable.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
I have a Windows XP virtual machine running on a Windows 7 Professional host.
I installed RSLogix 5000 V20 and RSLinx V2.59.
Everything runs OK except when I try to connect to a CompactLogix using a USB cable.
At the VMware top bar I can see the USB icon and when I hover over it it read the correct PLC part number.
In RSLinx, the USB driver (AB_VBP-1) is shown as running under "Configure Drivers", but it does not show in the RSWho window.
I have read there can be problems with this USB driver in VMware, but I don't know if anybody has made it work.
In case this USB connection does not work, what would be the work around for loading the firmware to an out of the box CompactLogix? And to communicate via Ethernet to a CompactLogix whose IP address is unknown?

Thank you!

Last edited:
I am not aware of any issues with the RSLinx USB driver, at least not in my neck-of-the-woods...:D...I have been running a setup similar to yours and never experienced dificulties USB connecting to any devices. (I belive the Win7 Pro OS is actually the Host of your setup!)
I would first uninstall the AB_VBP-1 driver and then delete the Harmony files (https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48241)
Shut-Off the Guest OS; re-boot the Host OS.
After the Host comes up, insert the "live" CompactLogix connected USB cable in one of your PC's USB ports (maybe another one than the originally used port) then wait several minutes while the the Host OS is loading up the CompactLogix driver (monitor the Task Bar for progress).
After prompted that the USB device's driver was successfully installed, disconnect the USB cable, start up the Guest OS and disable the RSLinx "Run as Service" feature and then Stop RSLinx.; attach the USB cable to the PC and "connect" the previusly configured Host USB Removable Device to the Guest machine- wait until the driver is installed on the XP machine! (monitor the progress within the Task Bar).
When prompted that the USB device has been successfully installed on the Guest OS start-up RSLinx and verify the "connectvity"; once the USB driver's functionality has been established, you could return RSLinx back to the "Service" functionality.
I'd suggest this approach for any USB devices to be used within a Virtual environment.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your reply, dmargineau!
I found it very well explained.
Yes, I meant "host" instead of guest, and I edited it already.
I started the process and it seems that the USB driver for the CompactLogix is not correctly installed. When I try to update the driver or reinstall it, Windows cannot find the driver.
Where can I get the driver from?
Do I need to have RSLinx Classic installed on the host?

The USB driver is located within any RSLinx install package Rev.2.56 or later.
You could try installing the latest revision of RSLinx Lite compatible with your Host OS (2.59 for 32-bit and 3.60 for 64-bit -http://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/Pages/MultiProductDownload.aspx?Keyword=Free&crumb=112) and then try to USB connect the Host OS to the CPU following the procedure at Page 45 of http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1756-um001_-en-p.pdf

Thank you, dmargineau.
It seems that the latest free version of RSLinx Classic Lite is 2.57, am I wrong?
I wouldn't like to spend a expensive license installing RSLinx Classic Lite on the host machine just for the USB cable issue. I'd install RSLogix 5000 directly on the host if I had to spend a license on the host.

Unfortunately, I haven't been successful making the USB connection work. I followed the procedure suggested by my friend dmargineau.
I installed RSLinx Classic Lite 3.60 on the Host (Windows 7 Professional 64 bit). I can see the USB connection detected and recognized. RSLinx can see the CompactLogix through this USB cable on the Host machine.
On the Guest machine (Windows XP) everything is almost the same: the USB driver (AB_VBP-1) is shown as running under "Configure Drivers", but it does not show in the RSWho window. The only difference is the name of the driver under "Device Manager".
Any ideas?

Question: should RSLinx stay running on the Host Machine?

So folks (myself included) have had issues with VMware not communicating properly with USB 3.0 ports. There is a newer version of VMware (v10) that fixes this issue.

My laptop has four USB ports two of which are USB 2.0. As long as I plug into those ports I can communicate, but if I plug into a USB 3.0 port, the guest never sees the connection.

USB 3.0 ports are usually identified two different ways:
  1. The port is blue instead of black
  2. The port is labeled as "SS" for "SuperSpeed".
The version of RSLinx you are using should be ok and it only needs to be installed on the Guest, not the Host. Make sure RSLinx is shut down on the host.

Boot up your Windows 7 host with the USB cable disconnected. Then power up the Windows XP virtual machine (guest). Once it is fully powered up, click inside that window so the Guest has focus. Then plug in your USB cable.

This will ensure that the guest makes the connection to the CompactLogix through the USB instead of the Host trying to make this connection.

OG

Last edited:
Thank you, Operaghost.

So folks (myself included) have had issues with VMware not communicating properly with USB 3.0 ports. There is a newer version of VMware (v10) that fixes this issue.
I'm using VMware Player 6.0. I think you are talking about VMware Workstation.
My laptop has four USB ports two of which are USB 2.0. As long as I plug into those ports I can communicate, but if I plug into a USB 3.0 port, the guest never sees the connection.
My laptop has two USB 3.0 and one 2.0, and I've been trying with this one.
Boot up your Windows 7 host with the USB cable disconnected. Then power up the Windows XP virtual machine (guest). Once it is fully powered up, click inside that window so the Guest has focus. Then plug in your USB cable.
This will ensure that the guest makes the connection to the CompactLogix through the USB instead of the Host trying to make this connection.
OG
I followed your instructions, with no success...

If I cannot make this USB connection work, my concern is how to download the firmware to a brand new CompactLogix (or to one that has lost its IP address).
I have 2 alternatives:

1. Spend a license an install RSLogix on the Host machine, losing most of the sense of having the Virtual machine.
  2. Find a way of assigning an IP address without the USB cable. Maye using the BOOTP-DHCP Server?
I will appreciate your help to fix the USB issue or your suggestions for a workaround.

One note...AB/RA products "virtualization" is supported for WMware Workstation virtual OSs only...WMware "Player" is not supported since it is not quite a Virtual Machine...Last time I have checked, a VMware Workstation license runs less than $200...I strongly suggest that you invest in it and use it for any RA Virtual Machines...
If the CompactLogix 5730 CPU is in out-of-the-box condition, it is BOOTP/DHCP Enabled; if this is true, you should be able to Disable the BOOTP/DHCP state while setting a Static IP Address for the CPU Ethernet port and then connect the ControlFlash software to it using EtherNet/IP; this will require though a proper RSLinx installation since the BOOTP Server tool required by the aforementioned procedure is part of the RSLinx install package.
Now about the USB issue...
Prior to the installation of RSLinx 3.60, have you installed the FactoryTalk Services Platform V2.60.00(CPR9 SR6)?
Did any of the installs return any error prompts?
Have you installed RSLinx in "Silent" mode?(running in the background).
If so, the entire driver package will need to be manually installed from within

\Redist\RSLinx\ENU\Redist\KN64Bit\DriverPkgx64

Please read carefully and comply with RSLinx 3.60 Release Notes- http://netstorage.rockwellautomatio...n=1386339046_d62d313c7d30422990770cd98bffaa0e

RSLinx installs (even the Lite ones) should be very carefully approached and any "irregularity" prompt should be immediately back-tracked and corrected.

One note...AB/RA products "virtualization" is supported for WMware Workstation virtual OSs only...WMware "Player" is not supported since it is not quite a Virtual Machine...Last time I have checked, a VMware Workstation license runs less than $200...I strongly suggest that you invest in it and use it for any RA Virtual Machines...
I'm sorry to hear that the Player is not supported. I will think about spending the $200 on the Workstation.

If the CompactLogix 5730 CPU is in out-of-the-box condition, it is BOOTP/DHCP Enabled; if this is true, you should be able to Disable the BOOTP/DHCP state while setting a Static IP Address for the CPU Ethernet port and then connect the ControlFlash software to it using EtherNet/IP; this will require though a proper RSLinx installation since the BOOTP Server tool required by the aforementioned procedure is part of the RSLinx install package.
I came up with another approach. On the host, I can connect to the PLC using RSLinx via the USB cable. From there, I can assign an IP address to the PLC. Then, I can continnue working using an Ethernet connection from the Guest.
Do you guys think there will be a situation when this solution won't work?

Now about the USB issue...
Prior to the installation of RSLinx 3.60, have you installed the FactoryTalk Services Platform V2.60.00(CPR9 SR6)?
Did any of the installs return any error prompts?
Have you installed RSLinx in "Silent" mode?(running in the background).
If so, the entire driver package will need to be manually installed from within

\Redist\RSLinx\ENU\Redist\KN64Bit\DriverPkgx64

Please read carefully and comply with RSLinx 3.60 Release Notes- http://netstorage.rockwellautomatio...n=1386339046_d62d313c7d30422990770cd98bffaa0e

RSLinx installs (even the Lite ones) should be very carefully approached and any "irregularity" prompt should be immediately back-tracked and corrected.
No, I didn't install the FactoryTalk Services Platform...
I install RSLinx 3.60 on another identical host machine and I didn't get any irregularity, but the USB connection on the Guest does not work either.