Badly Need Help with GE Fanuc 90-30 PLC IC693CPU313K

altira

Lifetime Supporting Member
This is a wild shot in the dark but I am running out of options.
I'll try to keep it short while providing as much info as possible.
I will also apologize for my first post being one that gets right down to business and begs for help rather than contributing somehow. Hopefully there will be an opportunity one day for me to return the favor for someone.

I have an old machine that is down with a PLC (GE Fanuc 90-30 PLC IC693CPU313K - 5 slot backplane - no program prom) problem that I have been unable to resolve thus far.

Contacting GE Tech support and the two local distributors they pointed me to did not accomplish much though I believe they did what they could. One even offered to come take a look but I can't wait ~2 weeks for that. They then recommended I purchase from them the following
- Machine Edition v9.5 Professional Development Suite 700 Points
- Acceleration Plan Bundle - Premier Level for Automation & Controls
Perpetual License
- MINI-CONVERTER KIT WITH CABLE RS-485/RS

for a hefty sum so that I could connect to the PLC and investigate the issue myself. I have a fair amount of PLC experience but have never worked with GE products.

Question #1 is will this more recent software even connect properly to this antique as the sales rep super promised?

When the problem started I found that the output card (IC693MDL940D) in slot 5 had a bad output (A3) that was stuck on which meant the brake on the motor would never engage.
I was able to find a replacement card on ebay and installed it.
While swapping cards solved the one problem it did not fix everything since the machine still will not reset after power up as it used to.
The LEDs (PWR, OK, RUN) on the power supply are all lit and green / no flashing with the exception of the BATT light which is off. I have checked all other cards and did not find any issues as far as I can tell.

This machine was bought used and has been running well here for many years. All I have to work with is a hardcopy of the code which I used to identify what I believe is the problem but I cannot find even a mention of what SA015 (Commented LOS_SIO), SC014 (Commented HRD_FLT, or SC015 (Commented SFT_FLT) are in any manual or online. The last two I would guess are "Hardware Fault" and "Software Fault". SC011 is related to an IO Fault which could have been triggered by the bad card but I have no way of knowing the condition of the contacts or know a way to clear the fault if there is one. These all are NC and lead to an output (Q0020) that must be on to reset the machine and is also used internally as a contact in other areas of the program so externally bypassing that output isn't an option though I tried anyway with no luck naturally.

Question #2 - Are there options other than buying software which may not work, waiting the 2 weeks for a tech to possibly have time to come by, or replacing with a new PLC / rewriting code from scratch (would also take too long)?

Unfortunately I am in a serious jam and have to get this machine running again ASAP.
Any assistance you can give will be greatly appreciated.

I'm also not a GE guy so can't help on any of the technical questions but I'd suggest posting your location. Someone on here might be close enough to here to come have a look for you (probably for a fee).

Failing that I'd get back in touch with the distributors and ask if they have contact details for any local integrators who again might be able to assist as a paid service.

Probably significantly cheaper than buying the software.

From the manual GFK-0467m, Page 2-25.

%SA0015 LOS_SIO Set when an option module stops communicating with the PLC CPU.
Cleared by replacing the module and cycling power on the main rack.

%SC0011 IO_FLT Set when any fault occurs that causes an entry to be placed in the I/O fault table. Cleared when the I/O fault table has no entries.

%SC0014 HRD_FLT Set when a hardware fault occurs. Cleared when both fault tables have no entries.

%SC0015 SFT_FLT Set when a software fault occurs. Cleared when both fault tables have no entries.

Look through you program listing for a SVC_REQ function block. A SVC_REQ with function code #14 will clear the I/O fault table or the CPU fault table based on a value in a parameter block. You can find details in the GFK-0467 manual.
Since the original programmer chose to incapacitate your machine when there are entries in the PLC's internal fault tables, he may have provided a way to clear the fault tables without having to get online with the programming software.
What modules are in the slots? The %SA0015 bit suggests a more sophisticated module than a discrete input or output.
Saffa's advice is on target. A visit from a local integrator familiar with GE will probably cost less than purchasing the software and the RS232/RS485 converter. And you won't have to struggle with the learning curve.

Here is a link to a "Cheater cable" that "may" work to connect to an older computer with a real RS232 port. I would strongly recommend getting the proper cable for it though. I don't know if you know how to build a cable or not. There is a member on the forum, geniusintraining, that has an online cable business and he might just have what you need. You "might" be able to find the old Logicmaster LM9030 software also. Maybe you could use that to Reset the faults, Steve Bailey would know more than I about that.
Links:
Cheater cable link: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=541013&postcount=4

geniusintraining links:
https://www.plccable.com/
https://www.plccable.com/ge-fanuc-schneider-modicon/

Edit:
Again, I may be all wrong, but, in the same manual that Steve mentioned (manual GFK-0467), near page 2-15, certain models can do some clearing of the fault tables using the keyswitch.

Last edited:
I truly appreciate all the effort and for pointing me to the correct manual but I am really striking out on this one.
There is no SVC_REQ anywhere in the program unless there are last pages missing and there is no keyswitch on this model.
I had been trying to find local help since this mess started with no luck until recently. Just this morning the GE rep was able to point me to someone else who finally actually seems familiar with this particular PLC and will come by later today (fingers crossed). In the meantime I am building that cable and will keep trying to find the correct software.
If you guys are ever in my area I owe you a beer or six.

GE Automation will give you a 30 day trial of Proficy Machine Edition, however i believe the demo version restricts you from making changes to and saving projects. Also, knowing you don't have experience with 90/30's and the software, you'll have a hard time creating a blank 90/30 project file, connecting to the PLC, and uploading the running program from the PLC to the software. If you know the IP address of the PLC (considering the CPU has an ethernet port), you wouldn't need the serial cable to configure or interrogate the PLC, just a laptop with a unique IP in the IP range of the PLC and a copy of Proficy.

GE Automation will give you a 30 day trial of Proficy Machine Edition, however i believe the demo version restricts you from making changes to and saving projects. Also, knowing you don't have experience with 90/30's and the software, you'll have a hard time creating a blank 90/30 project file, connecting to the PLC, and uploading the running program from the PLC to the software. If you know the IP address of the PLC (considering the CPU has an ethernet port), you wouldn't need the serial cable to configure or interrogate the PLC, just a laptop with a unique IP in the IP range of the PLC and a copy of Proficy.

By default GE PME software gives you 4 days of unrestricted use and you can easily request that be extended to 30 days by contacting tech support.

Fortunately the tech did arrive and was able to reset the IO Fault.
Started right up after that.
I've got him looking into the code that he was able to pull off the PLC (which did not exactly match my hard copy) to either find or add a way to clear the faults using the SVC_REQ as Mr. Bailey mentioned.
Thanks again for all the help.