Has anyone worked with Vision sensor???

paradym

Howdy All!,

Looking for some feedback from anyone who has worked with / installed Vision sensors.

Looking to see if a Vision sensor can fulfill my need to edge guide the tufted yarn in carpet.

I need to track the edge of carpeting, but not the edge of the primary backing that the yarn in "Sewn" into.

Kinda like this -

XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX______________________
Yarn edge^ ...Primary backing edge ^

Any information will help

Thanks

Why would you want to use vision to track to edge of carpet?
I have a bunch of machines where we use lasers. We have no problems finding the tufted edge.
What type of application is this being used for?
Perhaps I can be of help.
[email protected]

Hi Mark,

Tried laser and ultrasonic sensors, only some favorable results.

The problem is the selvage can be distorted / rippled / missing, causing false detection as the product is being processed, and cannot be "smoothed" out.

The machine constraints will only allow a "reading" perpendicular to the carpet face.

Was looking for a sensor to detect possibly utilizing the two tone properties of the primary backing to the un-dyed yarn, and output a 4-20 ma. signal to a PLC based on the amount detected.

What sensors are you using for your process???

Thanks

I have used vision sensors before.
They were the Cognix type and were fairly pricy, although I believe they have some new stand alone cameras with device net fitted.
The main problem you will have is lighting.
You need to be able to light your area well and your best bet is to have clear contrasts.
If you are using a dark carpet with light backing, you should have no problem. It is only when the carpet is similar in colour to the backing toat the tricks start.

I would suggest you use a vision system consultant, one with a good reputation. He will probably charge alot, but my personal experience is that you can easily blow big bucks ($500k in the case I was involved in) and get nothing, or spend $100k and get a good, working system.

Having said that, I havn't touched a vision system for 3 years, and in that time I believe the prices have come down and the systems are now easier to use.

Hope this helps,

Doug

Hi Paradym,
The lasers that we use come from a place a Germany, they cost around $1000. I believe they are from Sick. We use them on the different selvages that you mentioned including the dreaded zigzag style. The only process on the range that I can think of where you might need lasers is where they use a continous dyeing process.

We have also used light curtains to control guiding is some applications. You can get a little more info on our light curtain process at our web site under the Services menu. Its URL is esystemsusa.com.
Also if you need to get in contact with me, my phone number is there.

I have been to most of the carpet companies on the West coast, which one do you work at?

[email protected]

paradym,
I would STRONGLY suggest that you get with a Vision System supplier to have them come to your facility and make sure their application will work. I just got done installing a demo Omron F-160 and it worked great for my application. The company let us use it on a automotive assembly line for three weeks. Don't go investing in this without making sure it will work. As others have said it can get VERY pricey, but they do work amazingly well in certain apps.
Tim

Thank you one and all for the feedback!!!

Mark,

It is in fact no our Continous Dyeing Line that the sensors are being applied too.

Tried the Banner units, semi effective.

Can you post the SICK unit part number?

and to answer your question, with a riddle,
"Solar powered Tufters"

Is this the answer to your riddle?
Does Santa have a good view of Valley View? Did you know Bo?
Also what happened to that QCF that you had?
I will try to get you the part number.

Mark Buskell said:
Is this the answer to your riddle?
I will try to get you the part number.

A - LOL, Not sure about Santa's view / Yes, I do know Bo.

A - QCF ?????