You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old March 3rd, 2017, 04:08 PM   #1
Fanuc_Bradley
Canada

Allen bradley activation hosting

I have all my activation for all my Allen Bradley software linked to my HDD serial number, I was wondering if I lost my laptop or my HDD broke how can I get my licences?
I've tried to get the licences from another laptop while they still on my laptop and can't find them. I have to rehost them before they will be available.
thanks for help
Old March 3rd, 2017, 05:15 PM   #2
Saffa
New Zealand

If you look in the factorytalk activation manager it shows you where your .LIC files are. You can back these up. Of course if your hdd blows up your new one won't have the same number.

If you have the original certificate that came with your software then you can call up tech support for assistance.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 06:11 PM   #3
Geospark
Lifetime Supporting Member
Ireland

I would suggest that you Rehost your Activations and use a USB Dongle as the Host ID, rather than the current Hard Drive Serial Number Host ID. The USB Dongle is portable and also gives you the option of storing the license files on the Dongle itself. Keep the Dongle safe and away from the laptop workstation when not in use.

You can also install the same software products on another workstation, or multiple workstations, using the same software serial numbers. Just plug the USB Dongle in to whichever workstation and it will Activate the software products. Once Activated, you can plug out the Dongle, or be using it elsewhere, and the software products will remain Activated for 7 days under the Grace Period.

If your laptop goes missing or the Hard Drive fails, and you have the USB Dongle safe, then you can simply install the same software products on a new workstation and just plug the Dongle in. The software products will be immediately Activated. No need to Rehost or contact Rockwell.

Some previous info...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpos...30&postcount=6

Regards,
George
Old March 3rd, 2017, 07:39 PM   #4
daba
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geospark View Post
.... Once Activated, you can plug out the Dongle, or be using it elsewhere, and the software products will remain Activated for 7 days under the Grace Period.
George
I have never tried that, and it would be a great advantage in many situations... I'm always concerned about that great big green thing sticking out of the side of my laptop, it's already taken a knock or two, and does look a bit "bent"... plus I'm concerned about possible damage to my laptop USB port. Is the 7-day grace period cumulative ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geospark View Post
.... or be using it elsewhere .....
I am sure you meant to say "be using it to activate a different software product on another machine".... using the dongle to activate the same product on multiple machines would not be allowed under the license agreement, unless, of course, the license is valid for multiple "seats".
abtrain@tiscali.co.uk
www.abtrain.co.uk
tel: 07506 73 9999
nil illegitimi carborundem

Old March 4th, 2017, 02:59 AM   #5
janner_10
Supporting Member
United Kingdom

Virtual Machine
Old March 4th, 2017, 05:06 AM   #6
nhatsen
Venezuela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanuc_Bradley View Post
I have all my activation for all my Allen Bradley software linked to my HDD serial number, I was wondering if I lost my laptop or my HDD broke how can I get my licences?
Just get in touch with Tech Support: they'll ask you for some information before helping you.
Old March 4th, 2017, 05:07 AM   #7
rdrast
United States

@daba I use a short (literally, 6 inch) USB extension cable for the dongle for exactly the reason you are concerned about it. Haven't had any issues yet.

Look First, Ask Second!

Old March 4th, 2017, 05:58 AM   #8
jstolaruk
United States

As mentioned, tech support will provide another, I've gone through the experience.
Old March 4th, 2017, 06:48 AM   #9
padees
United States

Rockwell is really good about providing a new activation, I've had to do it 3 times with my personal RS500.

1st I had it on a HDD, that died. Rockwell said to tag it to my NIC card, so I did. Puter got killed at a factory so I got another one. Very painless working with Rockwell tech.

We have all of our other activation's on that ugly green USB dongle. I too worry about that getting broken. So, after I open the software once it's activated for that session, I unplug it and put in pocket. Works well that way. I like the short USB cable idea tho.

Last edited by padees; March 4th, 2017 at 06:53 AM.
Old March 4th, 2017, 07:05 AM   #10
padees
United States

Just an observational side note on using some versions of 5000 during the grace period. The software may not be fully functional during this period. I've only tried it a few times and V20 would not allow me to do online edits. V29 seemed to go into service mode after a day. No edits offline or online. Don't leave home without your dongle!
Old March 4th, 2017, 07:19 AM   #11
jstolaruk
United States

I like putting the activations on a office computer and then borrowing the activation to my laptop once every couple of weeks.
Old March 4th, 2017, 09:39 AM   #12
Kujo80
United States

Agree with jstolaruk, I found the best way is to host all of our licenses on a computer or server, then borrow when need. But this only works if you licenses are concurrent licenses.
Example I currently store our licenses on our AssetCentre server and I have installed controlled wireless AP in the facility on the controls newtwork.
So all I do is open which ever AB program I need to and as long I'm connected to the network FactoryTalk activation manger auto borrow license that is needed.
Old March 4th, 2017, 11:47 AM   #13
GaryS
United States

Why not just get a Activation Dongle from AB then it doesn't mater what computer you are using the activation are on the Dongle.
if you are like me I keep a copy of the software I download so I can reinstall if my computer fails.
you will also need a copy of the Certificate's with the activations.
I moved copy of them on the Dongle for safe keeping
Old March 4th, 2017, 02:22 PM   #14
OkiePC
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstolaruk View Post
I like putting the activations on a office computer and then borrowing the activation to my laptop once every couple of weeks.
Yes, that is what we do. Don't have to worry about misplacing our server in the boss's office. I often let a license borrow term expire and run on the grace period for a day or two. Takes less than one second to click "Ok" for the warning a couple of times a day.

Once in a great while one of us has to use the VPN to borrow a specific license from a distant hotel room. Sometimes over the VPN, you have to hit refresh activations a few times to get them to show up, but I think that our solution is much simpler and certainly easier to keep up with than a handful of dongles since there are now five of us who use various Rockwell software products.
Old March 4th, 2017, 02:35 PM   #15
Phil Buchanan
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrast View Post
@daba I use a short (literally, 6 inch) USB extension cable for the dongle for exactly the reason you are concerned about it. Haven't had any issues yet.
I spoke to a couple guys from the activation's team at RS Tech Ed about this but I can't understand why they don't use a better dongle. The current dongle is an improvement over the origianl because the original had no storage for yor .lic files.

I wish they would use something like the Sandisk I have in the pictures. It's small enough not to get hit or damaged while in your laptop and could be activation and storage (this one is 32 GB)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (54.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (66.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (62.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (91.8 KB, 20 views)
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum