Intrinsically Safe HMI for Zone 2, IIA/IIB, T3

to me, the big issue is all the area classifications. while you can get an hmi for zone 2, adding the IIa,IIb, T3 onto that means that not only do you have to design for those areas, you must now investigate the following:
zone 2 chemical deposits onto the hmi, along with IIa,IIB, T3 chemical deposits, and MOST importantly, chemical interaction with each other and reactivity with the hmi components.
from personal experience, it is no fun. you need to have your i's dotted and t's crossed, specify to the customer what he is getting and the chemicals that can and cannot be used.
james

I'm not sure what you're on about James...

T3 is the temperature level under which equipment can be installed in that area. So T4, 5 and 6 will do.

IIB is the gas group that the equipment must meet. In this case, IIB or IIC will do.
Zone, gas group and temperature (bearing in mind ambient temperature) need to be met for the equipment to safely be installed in a certain area.

If there are chemicals being deposited in the equipment (in this case, the HMI) it's a zone 0 and no HMI in the market can be installed in there. But maybe I misunderstood.

cardosocea,

thanks for pointing out that t3 is temperature.
in my last post, i was simply trying to alert the designer what to look out for based on previous experience. it's easier to find the problem before the machine gets built and installed rather than having the customers safety team tell you that their research found that the hmi cannot be used. Trust me on this point ! i failed multiple machines due to hmi panels not meeting our requirements that were in the quotation spec sheet. the OEM was not a happy camper, but he had to replace them at his cost.
james