Wondeware DASABCIP won't connect to some tags

ryangriggs

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello, we are running Wonderware InTouch 9.5 and the requisite DAServer with DASABCIP talking to 11 AB CLX PLCs.

We're also using KEPDirect to link to a DirectLogic 06 PLC.

Everything has been working for several years.

Today I made some changes to the KEPDirect setup (changed the address of a tag). Not the first time. I have made many changes to KEPDirect recently with no issues.

When I closed and re-opened the InTouch app, the old value was still being displayed. So I went to Windows Services and restarted DASABCIP and SuiteLink services.

Then going back into the InTouch app, one of my AB PLCs was not communicating. In the logs I'm getting:
"Unable to add item 'PORT_CIP_000.CHEMICAL.BACKPLANE.CHEMICAL.Analog[6].SCL' with access name ChemTags"
and also
"ProtCreatePoint: AddItems() method failed (hr = 0x1) for item name = 'Analog[0].SCL' !
and then
"Rejected LOGIX5000_CLX ITEM = Analog[0].SCL on plc PORT_CIP_000.CHEMICAL.BACKPLANE.CHEMICAL"

Later in the logs I get the following:
"Data reception timeout: reconnecting (topic name) [servername]; \\10.0.0.2\DASABCIP|ChemTags) [servername; StorageNode.cpp; 633, 1]"

(Note that these messages appear for multiple tags on the CHEMICAL PLC, all named Analog[X].SCL), but no errors are appearing for any other PLCs in the DAServer log.

I rebooted the machine, and am STILL getting this message, and none of the tags will display.

I tried an older version of the InTouch app from another machine, and it was able to connect and display the data for these tags just fine.

I have checked the Access Names to ensure correctness. I validated the access name setup from the old version of the app with the new version, and they are exactly the same.

I checked the InTouch tags, to ensure the same exact settings and they match exactly.

Update: From another machine, if I set the access name to point to "localhost", it works fine (since the other machine is running DAServer too). But if I point the other machine's access name to 10.0.0.2, it also fails.

So, to "patch things up" until I figure out what's up, I'm pointing the access name to another machine's IP address which is running DAServer, instead of 'localhost'. This is working, but it's obvious something is wrong.

Does it appear to be something wrong with the DAServer on 10.0.0.2? I'm very puzzled, since I didn't make any changes to its configuration.

I would be very grateful for any advice on how to find the problem!

Thanks!

Last edited:
SOLVED!

Here's the solution, in case anyone else needs it.

Apparently the tag database in DAServer for this Topic somehow got corrupted.

According to the listed articles below, it was necessary to force a re-download of the tag database from the PLC. This is done with either the "WWCLIENT" utility, or apparently also by manually setting the $Sys$UpdateTagInfo tag of the affected topic to a value of '1', which forces a re-download/rebuild of the tag database from the associated PLC.

I used wwclient and followed the steps in this article and everything is now working fine.
https://knowledge.insourcess.com/Wo..._a_ControlLogix_PLC_in_the_DASABCIP_DA_Server

Here's the article that got me to the right place:
https://knowledge.insourcess.com/Su...od_failed_(hr=xxx)_for_item_name_="<itemname>

Luckily we had a copy of wwclient already on the PC, but I'm not sure where the correct version can be downloaded. I found an older version for InTouch 7.11 and 8.0 at this link:
http://germany.wonderware.com/support/docsupport/wwclient/wwclientv80.htm

Hope this helps someone else who may be pulling their hair out!

The article link no longer works. Here's the text:

TN DA109 Forcing a reload of the Tag DB from a ControlLogix PLC in the DASABCIP DA Server

1. Last updated Feb 6, 2020
  2. Save as PDF
  3. Share
insource_logo_large.jpg

Description
This tech note walks through a way to manually reload the Wonderware tag db for one individual topic within the DASABCIP DA Server.

• Author: Joseph Hefner
  • Published: 04/15/2015
  • Applies to: DASABCIP 3.0 and later

Details
Sometimes the Wodnerware DASABCIP may have one topic that is not showing the correct information. It may appear to be good data but it is reading the wrong tag data or the tag data may have bad quality. If this is happening on one topic but not others, you will likely need to download a new copy of the tag db from the PLC to the DA Server. The easiest way to do this is to use the wwclient utility to connect to the topic with incorrect data as below. The WWClient utility from Wonderware has been attached to this article under attachments if you do not currently have it available to you.

1) Launch the wwclient utility and go to Connections \ Create and connect to the DASABCIP topic that is having problems. A good connection will result in a hexadecimal string that is not all 0's as below:

2) Click on the Item menu and enter in the Item $Sys$UpdateTagInfo and click the AdviseEx button as below to read the system tag:

3) Enter a value of 1 in the value field and click the Poke button:

All of the tags that belong to this topic will temporarily go back into initializing state until the new tag db has been copied over from the PLC and then they should start receiving the correct values.

Here's the text from the Download wwclient page, and attached are the two WWClient zip files.

WWClient Utility for InTouch® 7.11 and InTouch 8.0

All Tech Notes and KBCD documents and software are provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. See the Terms of Use for more information.
Topic#: 002022
Created: May 2004
Introduction

WWClient is a generic DDE/Suite Link-aware program that can communicate with other DDE/Suite Link applications such as your InTouch application and the Wonderware® I/O Servers.
WWClient is useful when you are troubleshooting a Wonderware InTouch application where it will give you easy access to the current value of a particular tagname.
See Tech Note 132 Using FactorySuite 2000s WWClient to Check I/O Server Communications for detailed information about how to use WWClient.
Installing WWClient

For InTouch 8.0 and FactorySuite A² Common Components

Due to security concerns, WWClient is not installed when installing the FactorySuite A² Common Components with InTouch 8.0 or later.
To use this version of WWClient, install the wwclient.exe from the zip file to the directory containing the file wwclintf.dll, which is where the FactorySuite A2 Common Components are installed.
On a german OS: c:\Programme\Gemeinsame Dateien\ArchestrA
On a english OS: C:\Program Files\Common Files\ArchestrA
Download WWClient for InTouch 8.0 and FactorySuite A² Common Components (WWClient8.0.zip ).
For InTouch 7.11 and FactorySuite® Common Components

This version of WWClient should only be used with InTouch 7.11. It should be unnecessary to install WWClient for InTouch 7.11 as it is automatically installed when installing the FactorySuite 2000 Common Components.
These Common Components are automatically installed when installing InTouch 7.11 or a version 7.x I/O Server.
To use this version of WWClient install the wwclient.exe from the zip file to the directory containing the file wwclintf.dll, which is where the FactorySuite 2000 Common Components are installed.
Download WWClient for InTouch 7.11 and FactorySuite Common Components (WWClient711.zip ).
Download the older version of WWClient.
D. Ujifusa
Tech Notes are published occasionally by Wonderware Technical Support. Publisher: Invensys Systems, Inc., 26561 Rancho Parkway South, Lake Forest, CA 92630. There is also technical information on our software products at www.wonderware.com/support/mmi
For technical support questions, send an e-mail to [email protected]. back to top
©2021 Invensys Systems, Inc. All rights reserved. No part of the material protected by this copyright may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, broadcasting, or by anyinformation storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from Invensys Systems, Inc. Terms of Use.