Windows XP machine died - Simens Protool RT, CP5611 MPI

JOLTRON

Lifetime Supporting Member
So I am working on a machine where the PC has died.

The PC was running Windows XP, Protool RT, Step7 V5.3, SimoComU and other software.

The hard drive has been restored and converted to a Virtual hard drive to see if we can get the machine working again.

The original setup the PC had a CP5611 card that connected to an MPI network of at least 3 PLCs. This was used for PLC programming (possibly drive programming and config?) and for Protool RT to talk to the PLCs.

My first question:
Can the SIEMENS USB MPI PC ADAPTER be used in place of the CP5611? On our new PC that has this XP machine as a VM guest I can get it to go online with the PLC it is plugged into, but it doesn't seem to see the other two PLCs on the MPI network.

How I get it online doesn't add up to me. The Protool CS project shows the BAUD rate to be 187.5, when I set this in my SET PC PG INTERFACE it just gives me an error about addresses and transmission rates. If I set the PG PC INTERFACE buad rate to 1.5 I can go online and compare the project.

One weird thing is that when I set the baud to 1.5 it keeps getting automagically set back to 187.5. I am thinking when Protool RT is started up it may be changing the PG PC interface settings? I have never seen this before, but is my only guess at the moment.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Can the SIEMENS USB MPI PC ADAPTER be used in place of the CP5611?
I could not find a official answer, so the only thing you can do is try it, but it's not meant for a permanent installation anyway.

The CP5711 is the USB equivalent of a CP5611, but it's not supported with Windows XP or Protool. You would have to upgrade to at least WinCC flexible Advanced in Windows 7 to use the CP5711, or get a PC in which you can install a CP5611.

I can get it to go online with the PLC it is plugged into, but it doesn't seem to see the other two PLCs on the MPI network.

Check the MPI cabling between all CPUs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. It sounds like we are getting closer to getting it up and running.

At the moment we are just looking to get it up and running until the OEM can do some upgrades.

We have the HMI online now, sounds like after some debug and testing the MPI cable got moved and plugged into the DP port.

But I may look into that USB CP5711, if nothing else just to have one on hand.

Everything that has been said so far is correct, bot the PC Adapter USB and the CP5711 can be used. The CP5611 can also be used, only not in a VM.
edit: PCs with 'classic' PCI slots - not PCIexpress slots - are becoming difficult to source.

I have a similar retrofit project coming up, where a Protool Pro with CP5611 has to be replaced with WinCC Flexible and Windows 10.
I plan to use this one for the online connection instead of the CP5611:
https://www.deltalogic.de/products/s7-adapters/accon-netlink-pro-compact

Last edited:
That adapter is a nice find! I might have to get one.

We currently have the machine back up and running with a temp setup using the MPI cable. Now we wait for the OEM to quote the upgrade.

Thanks for the help and info guys.

Everything that has been said so far is correct, bot the PC Adapter USB and the CP5711 can be used. The CP5611 can also be used, only not in a VM.
edit: PCs with 'classic' PCI slots - not PCIexpress slots - are becoming difficult to source.

I have a similar retrofit project coming up, where a Protool Pro with CP5611 has to be replaced with WinCC Flexible and Windows 10.
I plan to use this one for the online connection instead of the CP5611:
https://www.deltalogic.de/products/s7-adapters/accon-netlink-pro-compact

I used similar over 10 years ago, but only for one PLC connection.
Is it possibly to connect several PLCs and MPI addresses with this adapter?

I think that Dell has still PCI ports on some models.

You can use this card - or one like it - in any board that supports PCI. Please note that this would need to be what is typically a slot for a graphics card, such as PCI-2.0 or PCI-3.0. Then, you can use PCI passthrough on the VM to send the PCI port directly to the guest OS where the drivers are installed. If possible, I would try that method first. It is generic, and *should* work regardless of the hardware.

I'm sorry, I gave some incorrect information I pulled from my brain. It happens. I remember reading that there was compatibility if the slots matched up. I was wrong about that. However, Startech makes an adapter, the PEX1PCI1, that may do the trick for you. I've found Startech to make some good stuff for situations like this.

Last edited: