1769-AENTR EDS File Registration

zacslade

Hi All,

I've got an ACD with a 1769-AENTR in the IO tree (called "Node 2"). The physical device is at a client site, and I don't have the option to connect with it at this time. The icon for Node 2 is a question mark, and if I double-click it, it says "Failed to Create Module Profile. Module Profile or EDS file Not Installed."

So, I downloaded the EDS from here:
http://www.ab.com/networks/eds/cgi-bin/detail.pl?file=EN/0001000C012A0100.eds

And I installed it using the EDS Hardware Installation Tool. Then, I closed and reopened Logix, but the question mark and error remain.

I also tried right-clicking the ethernet network and selecting "New Module", but the EDS file I just installed is not listed. If I open the EDS Hardware Installation tool and select "Unregister", then I can find it on the list.

Any advice? Direction?

Thanks!

Most A-B modules are configured with little plug-in programs called "Add On Profiles" (AOP), while EDS files are largely used by RSLinx Classic software.

The lines have blurred a little in the past couple of years because RA developed a way to enhance EDS files so they can be used to give much of the same functionality as an Add On Profile, and some third parties took advantage of that. They met with varying degrees of success.

Some manuals and help files refer to these as "EDS-based Add On Profiles" and you've seen that the error message is a little terse.

AOPs are all downloadable from the RA website:

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/global/support/downloads.page

Use control-F to search the list on the AOP Downloads site, and you'll find the 1769-AENTR.

zacslade said:
I've got an ACD with a 1769-AENTR in the IO tree...The icon...is a question mark...it says...Module Profile or EDS file Not Installed...

Just to add...

RSLogix 5000 v20 is the minimum version required to use the 1769-AENTR. But, v20 was released before this module was. So therefore, v20 does not natively support this module i.e. it does not install the required Add On Profile (AOP) during its installation. You must manually download and install it, as Ken has advised.

Studio 5000's Logix Designer v21, or above, does natively support this module and will, therefore, install the required AOP during its installation.

Therefore, I can deduce that this ACD file is most likely a v20 project file, and the above reason is why you do not have the required AOP installed on your workstation.

With regard to the EDS based AOP option. You will find, for the most part, that all Rockwell devices will have a proper AOP available, either preinstalled or downloadable and that the EDS based AOP option tends to be the reserve of third-party vendors.

Regards,
George

Last edited: