You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old August 2nd, 2016, 09:13 AM   #1
chainsaw2272
United States

Thumbs up New Laptop Time what to get

I would like to get some input from you experienced programmers as to what to look for in a new laptop used only for AB 5,500,5000, and factory talk software.We are locked in to Dell but generic info helps too.
Thanks Mike
Old August 2nd, 2016, 09:49 AM   #2
harryting
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

If you a search for "laptop", a ton of threads comes up.

I would get something with at least 3 USB port, 15 or 17 inch screen, SSD, Hi-Cap battery, and 8GB+ ram.

A lot of people including me like the Lenovo T series. I think the current Dell equal is the Latitude 5000 series.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 09:53 AM   #3
nhatsen
Venezuela

Here you have several threads about laptops:

Best laptop w/ windows 7 pro
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthr...ghlight=laptop

2016 Best Laptop for VMware

Laptop Advice

Laptop with built-in RS232 serialport

Laptop for plc and engineering programming
http://www.plctalk.com/qanda/showthread.php?t=89657

New Laptop

New laptop
Old August 2nd, 2016, 10:36 AM   #4
Paully's5.0
United States

If you are locked into Dell, the Preciesion 5000 series or XPS.

512 SDD minimum, 16 GB ram minimim, stay away from the 4k displays, stick with 1080p as some programs don't scale properly.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 12:01 PM   #5
jkerekes
United States

MacBook Pro
Old August 2nd, 2016, 12:06 PM   #6
JeremyM
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkerekes View Post
MacBook Pro
I love mine. I think they have the best combination of performance, battery life, portability, and price versus similarly spec'd Windows machines. Not to mention support. I also use VMWare Fusion to run Rockwell software so as to be able to migrate the virtual machine whenever I upgrade, without requiring a total software reinstall.

Lenovo with a high-resolution display would be my choice of PC. Dell are hit-or-miss.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 04:07 PM   #7
NetNathan
United States

Dell Precision
Old August 2nd, 2016, 04:37 PM   #8
SandwichMagic
United States

I don't know what kind of PLC hardware you are working with, but for a lot of the stuff we use, I specially request that we have a real serial port on it. That way you don't have to hassle with a USB to Serial converter or anything like that. Other than that, the other suggestions given previously work great. While I don't have anything with ssd's at work, my personal computer has the OS running on an SSD, and I can attest to the power. Nothing like being able to do a full restart from desktop to desktop in <12 seconds.

Conor

"It's the smartest people who are the first to realize that there is always more to learn"

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is a difference." - Dahnuguy

If you see something wrong in my post, feel free to let me know I'm wrong, no hard feelings, I promise!
Old August 2nd, 2016, 06:41 PM   #9
Peter Nachtwey
United States

That is what I bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkerekes View Post
MacBook Pro
It runs a long time on battery and has a more rugged aluminum case. I use Fusion ( VMWare ) to run WinXP VM. I can switch back and forth between OS X and Win XP with a swipe.

However, there is no direct Ethernet connection. The MacBook Pro assumes it will always be connected using wireless. Not a big deal. It has worked for me so far.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 07:35 PM   #10
danw
United States

I was a guinea pig for a Lenovo laptop T430 2 years ago.

It has the longest lasting battery ever, even after 2 years of 6 day a week use, it still runs well over 2 hours on battery.

But I can't stand that it has no numerical keypad, which means I that cannot enter extended ASCII characters using Alt + numerical code, or Ctrl +Alt + numerical code for Dell style 'numbers superimposed over alpha keys", as shown below, with the numerical keys in blue

I typically use extended characters like
241 ± (plus minus)
248 ° (degrees)

I use those characters extensively and without the numerical keypad I have to find, select and copy them from Windows' character map rather than typing them by the numerical codes.

I just got a replacement Dell laptop that can do extended ASCII with its numerical keypad.

Dan
Old August 2nd, 2016, 08:24 PM   #11
DwSoFt
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandwichMagic View Post
I don't know what kind of PLC hardware you are working with, but for a lot of the stuff we use, I specially request that we have a real serial port on it. That way you don't have to hassle with a USB to Serial converter or anything like that. Other than that, the other suggestions given previously work great. While I don't have anything with ssd's at work, my personal computer has the OS running on an SSD, and I can attest to the power. Nothing like being able to do a full restart from desktop to desktop in <12 seconds.
I used to thing a real serial ort was a must but I now have a good USB serial converter from www.plccable.com and haven't looked back

As for laptops I run 5 different VMS and my current dell has been lagging ( when running any vm) so I was looking at a new Dell. Ayers have treated me poorly and dell's good so I will stick with them most likely. I'm going to look at the links posted in here though.
My current lagging setup has 8gb of ram but no solid state drive and also dual core and the clock speed is lower. It did its job when I bought it and I will keep it for a spare. But my needs have increased. Lol
Phoenix Energy Services
Old August 2nd, 2016, 09:26 PM   #12
hunker
United States

Dell XPS 15
Old August 2nd, 2016, 09:27 PM   #13
hunker
United States

I think this will help you make your decision http://pc4u.org/best-laptop-for-vide...photo-editing/
Old August 2nd, 2016, 09:39 PM   #14
ASF
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nachtwey View Post
It runs a long time on battery and has a more rugged aluminum case. I use Fusion ( VMWare ) to run WinXP VM. I can switch back and forth between OS X and Win XP with a swipe.

However, there is no direct Ethernet connection. The MacBook Pro assumes it will always be connected using wireless. Not a big deal. It has worked for me so far.
I use a MacBook Pro - all you need is a thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor and it runs like a built-in ethernet port without any issues.

+1 for VMWare Fusion too - beautifully stable and fast.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 10:09 PM   #15
JeremyM
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF View Post
I use a MacBook Pro - all you need is a thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor and it runs like a built-in ethernet port without any issues.

+1 for VMWare Fusion too - beautifully stable and fast.
I own a pair of these. You can use them as separate network interfaces (across different networks, too) or even team them using LACP.

Really handy when you would like your VM traffic separated.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum