Best Siemens Hans Berger's book for me?

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi All,
I'm in the process of learning Siemens:
1) Using TIA Portal V14.
2) Working on a S7-1200. There are chances that I also use the S7-1500 series.
3) Programming in LAD.

What would be the best Berger's book (or from any other author) for my particular case?

I don't see me using the S7-300 or the S7-400, nor programing outside the TIA Portal. However, if there's a very good book based on any of those processors and/or using STEP 7 (not TIA portal), and you think it will be helpful for me anyway, I will consider it.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Nice list! The only problem is that it was created back in 2009. It would be great if an updated list is posted!

Going back to my original question, I haven't received any feedback about the books. Let me start with my first guess:
Automating with SIMATIC S7-1200: Configuring, Programming and Testing with STEP 7 Basic V11; Visualization with WinCC Basic V1

https://www.amazon.com/Automating-S...1491565898&sr=1-1&refinements=p_82:B001JOPGC8

Thank you!
It's seems to be the same book I suggested, but for some reason the prices are different.

Oh, HAH, I hadn't seen your post. Yeah, that's the same one, not sure why my link costs so much more, must be different "stores" on amazon with the same product. If you want a book, it's probably the best place to start.

Oh, HAH, I hadn't seen your post. Yeah, that's the same one, not sure why my link costs so much more, must be different "stores" on amazon with the same product. If you want a book, it's probably the best place to start.

People have praised the Berger's books in other older threads. I was expecting more comments here...

I've found the Step 7 books by C.T. Jones easier to understand, once you have a better idea then the Hans Berger books start to make sense.

I've found the Step 7 books by C.T. Jones easier to understand, once you have a better idea then the Hans Berger books start to make sense.
Thank you for your recommendation.
I'm very familiar with RSLogix 5000, and I basically need to migrate my knowledge to Siemens and TIA Portal. I am not starting from scratch with PLC programming, if that was you assumed by recommending to start with an easier book. If your idea is that the Jones' book is a good start for Step 7 regardless your background, then I will take a look at it.

If your idea is that the Jones' book is a good start for Step 7 regardless your background, then I will take a look at it.

That was my idea, I found the Jones books easier to comprehend, once I understood Siemens' ways the Berger book became more usable to me.

By far the most I learned was during the 4.5 day Siemens TIA Portal programming 1 course I took at my local distributor, I plan on attending programming 2 later this year. Fortunately my local distributor has a good application engineer who is a certified Siemens instructor.

Last edited:
That was my idea, I found the Jones books easier to comprehend, once I understood Siemens' ways the Berger book became more usable to me.

Expensive, though ($1,872!!!)
https://www.amazon.com/STEP-Steps-I...+S7-300/S7-400+Programmable+Logic+Controllers

By far the most I learned was during the 4.5 day Siemens TIA Portal programming 1 course I took at my local distributor, I plan on attending programming 2 later this year. Fortunately my local distributor has a good application engineer who is a certified Siemens instructor.
I think we were asked almost $3,000 for a multi-day training, and I'm trying to get around it.

Last edited: