You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old November 4th, 2004, 07:02 AM   #1
ckchew666
United States

Reporting in Excel using RSView32? Possible?

Hi,

I'm currently working on a RSView32 project with a SLC 5/04 (DH+).

I need to do reporting (on-demand and daily) for the flow from a flow analyser in Microsoft Excel format. Basic info like, date, time and flow only + total flow at the end of the report.

I'm sure many experience people have done this before, but i'm not familiar with VBA, so besides VBA is there any other way or Add-Ons for RSView32 can do the trick?

I'm not sure if some one out there can send me a sample of reporting.

Thanks!
Old November 4th, 2004, 08:29 AM   #2
tjhendri
US Virgin Islands

Under SYSTEM: ACTIVITY LOG SETUP I think you will find what you need. If that is not what you want. Try, DATA LOG, DATA LOG SETUP

Last edited by tjhendri; November 4th, 2004 at 08:46 AM.
Old November 4th, 2004, 10:04 AM   #3
bwheat
United States

Yeah, do a datalog and have Rsview save the data in dbase IV format. Then you can write a macro (VBA) in Excel to run your report. You can put a button on the Rsview screen to execute the Excel sheet. Unless there is some canned software out there to do reports for you it looks like you are going to get to learn some VBA. Excel is a good way to learn it. Start off by recording a macro and then go look at the code to see what it does. Get a book on VBA. This will help you write a cleaner code than Excel does when you record a macro.
Old November 4th, 2004, 10:14 AM   #4
ckchew666
United States

Quote:
Originally posted by bwheat
Yeah, do a datalog and have Rsview save the data in dbase IV format. Then you can write a macro (VBA) in Excel to run your report. You can put a button on the Rsview screen to execute the Excel sheet. Unless there is some canned software out there to do reports for you it looks like you are going to get to learn some VBA. Excel is a good way to learn it. Start off by recording a macro and then go look at the code to see what it does. Get a book on VBA. This will help you write a cleaner code than Excel does when you record a macro.
Hi,

What i'm worry about is how put the data captured nicely in Excel columns/rows.

The VBA script should be in RSView32 or in Microsoft Excel (Macro)?

No other free utilities I can use besides VBA, which I do not have much time to learn now.
Old November 4th, 2004, 10:48 AM   #5
bwheat
United States

If you do a datalog in RSview using DBase IV format when you open up the file using Excel the data will be in columns and rows. Basically it is a table. If you want to keep your RSview and VBA time to a minimum you could let the PLC keep up with the flow data or whatever you want to log and when it is time to log set a bit which will trigger a log event (that you setup in RSView) to store the data. So when you go open up the datalog file you should just have in the file only the data you wanted to store. Might have to play with the formatting a little bit to make it "pretty" but the data will be there.
Old November 4th, 2004, 08:07 PM   #6
ckchew666
United States

Quote:
Originally posted by bwheat
If you do a datalog in RSview using DBase IV format when you open up the file using Excel the data will be in columns and rows. Basically it is a table. If you want to keep your RSview and VBA time to a minimum you could let the PLC keep up with the flow data or whatever you want to log and when it is time to log set a bit which will trigger a log event (that you setup in RSView) to store the data. So when you go open up the datalog file you should just have in the file only the data you wanted to store. Might have to play with the formatting a little bit to make it "pretty" but the data will be there.
YES, i got what u mean, in order for me to tabulate the data into a presentable Excel table, I should use marco or do I need VBA in RSView32?

Somehow macro also use VB rite :X
Old November 5th, 2004, 07:12 AM   #7
bwheat
United States

In order for to tabulate the data into a presentable Excel table you will need to use an Excel macro NOT RSview. RSview has already made the table you just need to be able to open up the file and have Excel format it into a report.

Now, go have fun with Excel...
Old November 5th, 2004, 07:33 AM   #8
Bob O
United States

Side question...

I do my reports with Access. Currently I open it along with RSView but I would be interested in learning how to open just my form with a command button on my RSView sceen and run the reporting database that way. I think it would look cleaner. TIA

Bob O.
Old November 5th, 2004, 06:15 PM   #9
Bob O
United States

Bump

Bump...

Thought I would bump this since I am going to a customer on Monday and would like to try this out if anyone has some ideas.

The wife and I are heading out the door and I will check back later.

Thanks,
Bob O.
Old November 5th, 2004, 07:25 PM   #10
monkeyhead
United States

No experience using rsview for this, but if you can export in text delimited ascii, then you can easily open up the file in excel. I know the version of excel we have has a little wizard to help define what the delimiter is to put the data in the proper colums.

I know one of the guys at work set up a nice excel sheet that imports ascii data and displays it in a preformatted worksheet so it doesn't look all crappy and just requires hitting an update button to refresh the data from the source file. I'm no excel wizard though, so i won't be able to tell
Old November 8th, 2004, 07:26 AM   #11
bwheat
United States

I dont have RSView close, but I know you can have RSView execute an external program. Add a button and use the wizard to execute Access with the name of the database to be opened. This would just open Access from RSView. To open just the form you can probably do it by using an Active X container inside RSView. Sorry about the lack of details here, working off of memory only. Changed jobs and not the "programming guru" at the new job just a maintenance supervisor... Its funny how you can make more money work less hours and be bored out of your mind...
Old November 8th, 2004, 08:11 AM   #12
Steve Crotty
Canada

Quote:
I do my reports with Access. Currently I open it along with RSView but I would be interested in learning how to open just my form with a command button on my RSView sceen and run the reporting database that way. I think it would look cleaner. TIA

This is a common theme in this thread, but I dont have experience with RSView32 either, BUT in iFIX VBA (VBA is all the same right?) this is how we do what you are trying to

In the click event

Shell ("C:\report_db.bat")

and in the .bat file is

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSAccess.exe" "C:\report_DB.mdb"

Keep in mind the location of the MSAccess.exe depends on your version of access and the report locations are where you got em. You could elminate the bat file. Ive seen it done on another project, but I cant remember what the exact syntax for everything is. Good luck!
Old November 8th, 2004, 08:16 AM   #13
Bob O
United States

Thanks Guys.

I will try this tonight..I am headed to the airport.

Thanks,
Bob O.
Old November 9th, 2004, 10:34 AM   #14
ckchew666
United States

I managed to get the report out after source for helps from frens and some VB experts.

Basically I putting those VB code in Logic & Ctrl, then create a button to execute the VB + the scripts.

Managed to print them out in the default printer.
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:23 AM   #15
samit
United States

RSView 32 reporting with Access or Excel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O

Bob O.
Bob,

What kind of setup do you have in place to extract the data from RSView32 into Access or Excel?

Thanks
AS
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum