You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old September 11th, 2017, 02:48 PM   #1
widelto
Colombia

Zebra Ethernet/IP Printer and Studio 5000

Hi folks:
Recently I received a new software package for my ZT410 zebra printer, this package includes firmware for printer port (EIP) , AOP (add on profile) and some documents that explain how to setup the printer.

Setting up the whole thing is easy, in my case I will use 2D code (QR code), but using bar code is exactly the same.

The only you have to do is organize how your data is going to be printed, you have to use ZebraDesigner software to design your label and and send the label to be written on printer flash memory, then copy ascii character to your plc´s printer buffer then send data to your printer and voila.

See attached files.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AOP__.jpg (45.2 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg AOP_2.jpg (48.5 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg AOP_3.jpg (78.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg doc2.jpg (71.0 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg doc1.jpg (68.3 KB, 86 views)
Old September 15th, 2017, 08:25 AM   #2
widelto
Colombia

Finally I finished my project with no problem at all.
1769-L30ER Studio 5000 V30 Zebra ZT410 Ethernet/IP printer
For those who wants to play around with ZPL , this is an useful link:
http://labelary.com/viewer.html
Old September 15th, 2017, 08:40 AM   #3
Archie
United States

Zebra printers must be a hot topic these past couple weeks. I saw someone else post about them and I just did a project myself this week with one.

In my project I had to print a label when a bit in the PLC (CompactLogix) would go true, then read some values from the PLC to inset in the label. I started hand coding the ZPL and realized it can get very tedious. To make this easier, I used the ZebraDesigner software (which was free) to create the label with a visual designer, similar to the way you did. I then used the Print To File function to get the ZPL for the label into a text file/

I also created a parser for AdvancedHMI that would search the ZPL file for anything enclosed in brackets in the ZPL (which was done within ZebraDesigner), then use that value as a tag name to get data to replace it with. The final ZPL string was then sent directly to the printer.

AdvancedHMI - HMI Software without the license key hassles
Old September 15th, 2017, 09:08 AM   #4
widelto
Colombia

Archie:
What you did is very similar to what I did, the only difference is that my parser is located inside PLC memory.
By the way I´m playing with three industrial computers for the same project , I`m using Advancedhmi. They are going to be used on 3 palletized stations.
Old September 15th, 2017, 02:36 PM   #5
Archie
United States

The application I put in was actually a redo of an implementation that someone put in before I got involved with fixing the system. The prior setup used WonderWare to monitor the bit in the PLC which then gathered some information and sent it to an OmniServer over OPC, then in turn was relayed to the Zebra printer. It was about once a month that something would go wrong with that setup and caused the printer to stop printing. Once it was an OPC issue, then it was something happened to the Wonderware license, then the final one was after a power outage the OmniServer decided to go into demo mode and shutdown every 2 hours. So if anyone is looking to use the WW->OmniServer->Zebra network printer solution, I recommend avoiding it.

Widelto.... You'll have to let me know how your AdvancedHMI project turns out. Is this a system in Colombia?

AdvancedHMI - HMI Software without the license key hassles
Old October 9th, 2017, 07:12 PM   #6
Braydon_DG
United States

I'm doing something very similar with a Zebra ZT410 and a CompactLogix L36ERMS. I've installed the AOP, setup a PLC program with the module and verified communication settings, but I can't seem to get the PLC to communicate with the printer.

I read in the manual that you need the "Special Firmware SP004629A." Is that the software package you are referring to? I haven't been able to find any other documentation about that firmware version (we have V75.20.01Z). Also, do you happen to have the EDS file handy? I can't see it in RSLinx to upload the EDS like the manual specifies.

Any help or will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Braydon

Last edited by Braydon_DG; October 9th, 2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old February 27th, 2018, 01:40 PM   #7
pb2609
Brazil

Box converter

I need to buy a converter box, but I do know specify it.

Could you help me? Are you converting from RS-232C to ethernet/IP?

Whats the protocol?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by widelto View Post
Hi folks:
Recently I received a new software package for my ZT410 zebra printer, this package includes firmware for printer port (EIP) , AOP (add on profile) and some documents that explain how to setup the printer.

Setting up the whole thing is easy, in my case I will use 2D code (QR code), but using bar code is exactly the same.

The only you have to do is organize how your data is going to be printed, you have to use ZebraDesigner software to design your label and and send the label to be written on printer flash memory, then copy ascii character to your plc´s printer buffer then send data to your printer and voila.

See attached files.
Old February 27th, 2018, 03:58 PM   #8
widelto
Colombia

@pb2609:

The software package i talked about is to convert printer ZT410 from TCP/IP to EIP.
I received a second printer and both are working properly.
Old February 27th, 2018, 06:25 PM   #9
pb2609
Brazil

I have tried to buy a Special Firmware SP004629A in order to convert TCP/IP to EIP, but this firmware just be sell in the USA and I am in south america. I have already requested for our branch in the USA to buy this firmware, we purchased 2 licenses, but Zebra isn't wan't help and send the link to download, so we probably will need to request for the zebra partner refund, so I'm finding a box converter, do you know any converter?
Could you send me by email the Special Firmware SP004629A for me try the functionally?

AOP I have already installed and added a network in my plc program. My only problem is RSlinx can't identify Zebra printer because lack os Special Firmware SP004629A.

Thanks
Old February 27th, 2018, 06:26 PM   #10
pb2609
Brazil

Zebra ZT 410 and Rockwell PLC (special firmware)

I have tried to buy a Special Firmware SP004629A in order to convert TCP/IP to EIP, but this firmware just be sell in the USA and I am in south america. I have already requested for our branch in the USA to buy this firmware, we purchased 2 licenses, but Zebra isn't wan't help and send the link to download, so we probably will need to request for the zebra partner refund, so I'm finding a box converter, do you know any converter?
Could you send me by email the Special Firmware SP004629A for me try the functionally?

AOP I have already installed and added a network in my plc program. My only problem is RSlinx can't identify Zebra printer because lack os Special Firmware SP004629A.

Thanks
Old February 27th, 2018, 06:54 PM   #11
SD_Scott
United States

We use Intermec and Zebra and put all the printer codes in SQL server. A windows service monitors PLCs for print requests. The service sees the trigger in the PLC then reads PLC tags to use for the printed tag. That service WCFs to a printer handler service that uses the data as parameters for a stored procedure call. The stored procedure returns the entire printer string to the print handler service and it prints to the correct printer. Any additions and changes are done on the fly through SQL.
Old February 28th, 2018, 01:31 PM   #12
pb2609
Brazil

Quote:
@pb2609:

The software package i talked about is to convert printer ZT410 from TCP/IP to EIP.
I received a second printer and both are working properly.

Thanks
Old February 28th, 2018, 02:26 PM   #13
widelto
Colombia

@pb2609:
Send me your email on a PM.

Last edited by widelto; February 28th, 2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old February 28th, 2018, 03:15 PM   #14
pb2609
Brazil

Quote:
@pb2609:
Send me your email on a PM.
Desta Widelto,

It follows my email,

paulo.g.braga@gmail.com

paulo.braga@gates.com

Thanks for your help
Old February 28th, 2018, 04:05 PM   #15
Pete.S.
United States

Hope it works out but I can only see the zebra solution working on very non-demanding applications with only a few different kind of labels. And not very future proof.

It's just hard with just a PLC because it's really the wrong kind of tool for the job of handling a printer.

An industrial IT solution would be better than an automation solution.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum