You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old December 5th, 2017, 07:38 AM   #1
Steve Etter
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Crimson 3 - Entering long text

I'm looking to find if there is a way to let a user type in long (80+ characters) worth of text using a Graphite series HMI that I can then transfer to a PLC STRING variable.

Basically I'm trying to give the user the ability to enter comments on the HMI.

I am already good with getting the text to transfer from the HMI to the PLC and back, so the interface thing is covered. My problem is with the HMI Primitives; I can't figure out how to create a field where the user can type in the text, have it "wrap" on the screen, and then be edited without having to completely delete the existing text and start over.

I tried using a Data Box and while it works, it only allows me to define it as a "Single Line" if I am to set the Operation to "Data Entry". I'd really like to have something that will wrap the text once the entry gets too long on the display.

Also, when using the Data Box, when I open up the box and where it already has text entered, the only option I seem to have is to re-type the entire entry. It would be nice to be able to continue by appending to what is already there and/or make minor changes to the existing text.

Anybody have another method or know what else I can do to get some of this fuctionality?
Old December 5th, 2017, 08:04 AM   #2
kolyur
United States

I too have run into a lot of the restrictions you mentioned. One solution would be to essentially roll your own keyboard. I've done this before but only for numeric entry (because the built-in numeric keypad on a 6" screen was way too small). Doing this with a full alphanumeric keyboard would be a lot of work--probably more than is justified--but I think you could overcome most of the issues you mentioned.

Crimson can handle multi-line string displays but not when using the built-in data entry, as you know. You'd have to make a screen with the multi-line display and a button for each number and letter in a QWERTY arrangement. Each button would manipulate the string accordingly (yes lots of programming would be required). If you wanted to get real fancy, you could have arrow keys that would control a pointer value so that characters could be inserted or deleted at various points in the string--a rudimentary sort of cursor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg keypad2.JPG (49.4 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by kolyur; December 5th, 2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old December 5th, 2017, 08:19 AM   #3
Steve Etter
United States

Thanks for your quick response John. The keyboard piece of the puzzle for me is good, too, since I am using an external keyboard attached to the USB port of the Graphite terminal. That works really well.

I may be wrong, but it sounds like your solution wouldn't be much better than the single line I have now using the Data Box. I appreciate you suggestion, none the less, but I'm really hoping for something that acts like working with Notepad.
Old December 5th, 2017, 09:11 AM   #4
kolyur
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Etter View Post
Thanks for your quick response John. The keyboard piece of the puzzle for me is good, too, since I am using an external keyboard attached to the USB port of the Graphite terminal. That works really well.

I may be wrong, but it sounds like your solution wouldn't be much better than the single line I have now using the Data Box. I appreciate you suggestion, none the less, but I'm really hoping for something that acts like working with Notepad.
My suggestion was admittedly a kludge. I didn't even realize you could connect a physical keyboard to the Graphite units. I will be interested to hear if there are any other solutions.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum