You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old December 6th, 2017, 04:22 PM   #1
snakes79
United States

Intermittent fault AB -- L24ER-BB1B

Hello friends. I have a PLC in the field that intermittently faults out. Its a compact logix L24ER-BB1B. The status "OK" light blinks red, according to the customer. He toggled the switch from program mode to remote, to reset the fault, and the machine resumed operation. According to the customer, this has happened 2 or 3 times in a month.

Help!

Does toggling the switch erase the controller fault list in the properties window?

Has anybody ever dealt with something like this?

If there was a negative number in a counter or timer, (which I don't think happened) Toggling the reset wouldn't fix the problem, and it would fault out again instantly?

Regards,

JF
Old December 6th, 2017, 04:48 PM   #2
janner_10
Supporting Member
United Kingdom

You need to go online and see what the fault is.
Old December 6th, 2017, 08:24 PM   #3
Jeev
Australia

Does this site have a lot of brown-outs, supply transients or do they have a habit of cycling power to fix things often?
Old December 6th, 2017, 08:59 PM   #4
GaryS
United States

The Micrologix and SL line will do that with a math overflow fault just going to program and back to run will reset it until the next time.
I don't know if the Logix processors still have that problem
Old December 7th, 2017, 10:11 AM   #5
ScottTheEngineer
United States

I had a couple that did that do to programming error. The SCP instruction I was using had indirect addresses and I was causing a divide by 0 error When I accessed the routine they were located in.
Old December 7th, 2017, 12:12 PM   #6
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

The ControlLogix/CompactLogix OS considers overflow and divide by zero to be minor faults, which will not stop the user program.

An out-of-bounds array index will definitely fault the controller, and that's the sort of thing that's very typically reset during an initialization routine.

I agree that OP needs to go online and look at the fault logs. I admit I don't remember if they are cleared by a keyswitch cycle or power cycle.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum