You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old December 11th, 2017, 05:21 AM   #1
2mas
Norway

Mettler Toledo IND570 - SLC communication

Hi all,

I'm trying to interface a mettler toledo ind570 to a SLC PLC via a SST-PFB-SLC profibus card.

It's a single scale where all the tare, net weight calculations is done within PLC, so I'm only after floating point indication for gross weight.

The Mettler is currently set up with:
Setup > Communication > PLC > Profibus > Shared data - Disabled
Setup > Communication > PLC > Data Format > Operating Mode - Compability
Setup > Communication > PLC > Data Format > Floating Point - Enabled
Setup > Communication > PLC > Data Format > Byte Order - Standard
Setup > Communication > PLC > Data Format > Message Slots - 1

The SST-PFB-SCL is set up with:
4 words in
4 words out

Anybody has any experience with this? Does the byte order and message slot setting seem correct? Or would I need to swap bytes when communicating with SLC?

Best regards
Old December 11th, 2017, 04:40 PM   #2
ASF
Lifetime Supporting Member
Australia

My notes on the IND570 byte order are:

Byte Swap (Siemens), Standard (PLC5), Word Swap (RSLogix5000), Double Word Swap (Modicon Quantum)

You're using an SLC, which isn't explicitly on my list, but if I had to guess I'd say that you'd probably want the Word Swap (same as Logix PLC's). That said, the profibus interface is another level of complexity, and I've never tried to use an MT scale with an SLC before.

If I were in your position, I'd just set it up however, and then put a known weight on the scale and look at the data you have coming in. You can swap it around in the PLC in any number of ways until you work out which arrangement is required, and then set it up that way at the IND570 itself.

Nice unit, the 570. I've got one on my desk right now!
Old December 12th, 2017, 05:00 AM   #3
2mas
Norway

Thanks for reply.

I have now set up with Byte order - Standard. I get command response word and scale status word ok in PLC. But command word from PLC to Scale I can't seem to get right. I've tried same setup as with input words but no luck yet.

Still I'm able to read continiously gross weight, but unable to command scale to send other data.

I had to use SWP to be able to get status words correct in PLC.
Old December 12th, 2017, 04:38 PM   #4
ASF
Australia

If you're having to swap the data coming in, you'll likely have to swap it going out as well. Are you doing that? Of course, you'd be better off to work out which format doesn't require swapping in the PLC, and set the IND570 to that.

With the command to the scale, two quick points:
1. Remember that you have both a command value and a command floating point value, and often they must be used in tandem
2. In the manual, the table of output commands lists both the decimal and the hex commands. Make sure you're reading the right column - e.g. if you want to send a command for "report target value", the command is decimal 21, not 15 (unless you're typing in hex, of course).
Old December 13th, 2017, 01:28 AM   #5
2mas
Norway

I got it working. I ended up with "byte order - standard", even though I had to swap byte's in PLC. When I set up scale with "byte order - byte swap" it only swapped the command response word, and not the status word.

Also for command I swapped byte in PLC but had to send command on Word 1 instead of Word 0. Word 0 was specified in manual for commands but somehow it didn't take commands there.

Thanks for all replies!
Old December 13th, 2017, 05:14 PM   #6
ASF
Australia

Perhaps you've still got data format issues and the command data needs a word swap instead of a byte swap?

In any case, the important thing is, you got it working
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum