You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old December 28th, 2017, 03:16 AM   #1
Mihir_007
India

Data exchange between Rockwell(AB) compact logix series controller and Siemens IM-151

Hi there,

Can anyone suggest the solution to communicate between AB Compactlogix L36ERM controller(Which is having remote flex IOs over ethernet) and siemens IM-151 controller(Which is having chasis IO and network is profinet).

We Want to generate some reports in Rockwell SCADA and for that need to log some data in compact logix controller from siemens.[/font]
Old December 28th, 2017, 01:22 PM   #2
Aardwizz
United Kingdom

My favorite protocol converter is the Red Lion Data Station Plus (DSP).

I'm not sure whether it will talk with your Siemens PLC or not; you can go HERE to find out.

I don't see Profinet listed, but Red Lion has a reputation that, if they don't have it, you can call them up and they'll make it happen (if there aren't licencing issues)

It is not a good idea to bridge the two system's I/O networks, however, which seems to be what your description of the two systems is. You'll want a secondary ethernet card in your CompactLogix (if you don't already have one which talks to your SCADA / report-maker) and whatever's available in/for the Siemens (RS-485 & Modbus?)

Good luck!
Old December 28th, 2017, 01:55 PM   #3
sthompson
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Canada

Are you sure the IM-151 is ProfiNet (Ethernet)and not ProfiBus (9 Pin)?

Stu....
Old December 28th, 2017, 02:18 PM   #4
mk42
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihir_007 View Post
Hi there,

Can anyone suggest the solution to communicate between AB Compactlogix L36ERM controller(Which is having remote flex IOs over ethernet) and siemens IM-151 controller(Which is having chasis IO and network is profinet).

We Want to generate some reports in Rockwell SCADA and for that need to log some data in compact logix controller from siemens.[/font]
Not sure about your specific controller from AB, but you might want to take a look at this app example from Siemens. It uses open socket communication (TCP/IP).

https://support.industry.siemens.com...view/108740380

You might also want to look into if the SCADA system could talk to the Siemens plc directly. It'd be a lot simpler to not have to buffer data in the other system.
Old December 28th, 2017, 10:00 PM   #5
Mihir_007
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthompson View Post
Are you sure the IM-151 is ProfiNet (Ethernet)and not ProfiBus (9 Pin)?

Stu....
Hi,

Yes, i am sure it is ProfiNet.
Phone: +91-9173073667
Old December 28th, 2017, 10:04 PM   #6
Mihir_007
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk42 View Post
Not sure about your specific controller from AB, but you might want to take a look at this app example from Siemens. It uses open socket communication (TCP/IP).

https://support.industry.siemens.com...view/108740380

You might also want to look into if the SCADA system could talk to the Siemens plc directly. It'd be a lot simpler to not have to buffer data in the other system.
Seems good. Need to discuss with siemens team to execute this...
BTW thanks
Old December 28th, 2017, 10:06 PM   #7
Mihir_007
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardwizz View Post
My favorite protocol converter is the Red Lion Data Station Plus (DSP).

I'm not sure whether it will talk with your Siemens PLC or not; you can go HERE to find out.

I don't see Profinet listed, but Red Lion has a reputation that, if they don't have it, you can call them up and they'll make it happen (if there aren't licencing issues)

It is not a good idea to bridge the two system's I/O networks, however, which seems to be what your description of the two systems is. You'll want a secondary ethernet card in your CompactLogix (if you don't already have one which talks to your SCADA / report-maker) and whatever's available in/for the Siemens (RS-485 & Modbus?)

Good luck!
Hi,

I have seen this red liongateway. It is not for profinet. Have you worked/seen prosoft gateway module for Ethernet/ProfiNet conversion?
Old December 28th, 2017, 10:31 PM   #8
Ken Roach
United States

The IM151 is a network adapter for the ET200S distributed I/O system.

Is your ET200S installation already being controlled by a Siemens CPU ?

Do you need to "listen" to the data from the ET200S, or get that data from the Siemens CPU that is controlling the ET200S ?

Or do you need to control the ET200S with the CompactLogix controller directly, as though it was Allen-Bradley I/O ? You could do that with an EIP-200S Adapter module.

As you are probably aware, ProfiNet usually takes special hardware to interface with it. A "cross network gateway" might be an appropriate device, like the Anybus-X built by HMS Fieldbus, but I don't think you will find one that listens in on the ProfiNet data without being controlled by a Siemens controller.
Old December 28th, 2017, 10:36 PM   #9
Mihir_007
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Roach View Post
The IM151 is a network adapter for the ET200S distributed I/O system.

Is your ET200S installation already being controlled by a Siemens CPU ?

Do you need to "listen" to the data from the ET200S, or get that data from the Siemens CPU that is controlling the ET200S ?

Or do you need to control the ET200S with the CompactLogix controller directly, as though it was Allen-Bradley I/O ? You could do that with an EIP-200S Adapter module.

As you are probably aware, ProfiNet usually takes special hardware to interface with it. A "cross network gateway" might be an appropriate device, like the Anybus-X built by HMS Fieldbus, but I don't think you will find one that listens in on the ProfiNet data without being controlled by a Siemens controller.
Hi ken,

I want to listen some analog values from siemens to rockwell compactlogix.
In my application, IM-151 is used as standalone Operation CPU. I do not want to control any siemens IOs.
Old December 28th, 2017, 11:05 PM   #10
Ken Roach
United States

OK, you must have an IM-151-8, which is a Siemens S7 CPU built in the ET200S form factor with ProfiNet ports.

This is not an easy interface. I agree with mk42 that the Siemens example of using TCP/IP sockets is the least expensive approach, if it is supported by that S7 CPU.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum