You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old January 3rd, 2018, 04:14 AM   #1
Alok kumar
India

Redundancy

I have a question if any knows please help me.
I want to have a panel which would be controller redundant and i am using compactlogix for that .
I want to ask what would be program in 5000 to switch from primary to secondary if i dont use devicenet scanner .????/
Please help.....
Old January 3rd, 2018, 04:39 AM   #2
cardosocea
United Kingdom

Redundancy of processors, at least on Control Logix is done with a specific card and a dedicated link between processors.

Have a read here under Hot Backup

Link
Old January 3rd, 2018, 08:11 AM   #3
Alok kumar
India

but i want to use compact logix ...and what i know is that device sanner is used but i dont want to use that..i want to switch with the help of software.how i can i do that..please suggest
Old January 3rd, 2018, 08:22 AM   #4
cardosocea
United Kingdom

Seems my link got messed up.

Here's the correct link for the document I mentioned.
High Availability systems

You haven't quite given us much information apart from wanting this to be done with Compact Logix. There is no mention of other important things such as network or fieldbuses and that is also important.

The linked document goes into detail about the redundancy possibilities as well as pointing to knowledgebase articles to achieve some of this functionality.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 08:56 AM   #5
Alok kumar
India

Thankyou very much ,...i got it..

but what would be the programming required for switchover process..
Old January 3rd, 2018, 09:25 AM   #6
cardosocea
United Kingdom

Rockwell states this in their knowledgebase about the compact logix switching without specific hardware.

Quote:
IMPORTANT: The tool is not available for download and application code is handed out of each Rockwell Automation Sales Office. Users need to be tracked and identified in case emergency updates to the code must be distributed. An RA technical sales contact is required for the distribution of the Hot Backup code generator tool. Customers and Distributor will receive the tool from your local RA technical sale contact. The tool is not for download or distributed by Tech Support. RA Technical Sales to contact RA Commercial Engineer for the tool. A CE Engagement Request will need to be filled out to request the tool.
This would, supposedly, configure your hardware to work in a hot backup fashion. What is involved in it, I'm not sure.
I would guess that there would be a direct link between the PLC's checking for a heartbeat and potentially if they can read the remote IO before making a decision to swap over.
The main problem is really the remote IO and network connections and that is not something I've worked with enough to tell you exactly how it would be done, but assume is not a simple setting on the PLC.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 09:59 AM   #7
isiah_s
United States

roll your own

when possible use the manufacturer recommended system but if you cant you could make something based on Linux HAs.

Create a NFS and have both PLCs check it. When primary goes down the secondary spins up.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 10:01 AM   #8
harryting
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Compact Logix DOES NOT support redundancy. You need to move to ControlLogix to have that functionality.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum