You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old January 31st, 2018, 04:08 PM   #1
defcon.klaxon
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Proficy Machine Edition not recognizing my USB license

Hey guys,

Seemingly out of nowhere, when I open a project in Proficy (8.6) I get a pop up saying that my trial period is ended and I need to authorize, otherwise I can't verify/save/etc. I've put a call in to my rep but haven't heard back so I'm pretty much dead in the water right now. Not sure why this would occur, I've been using the same hardware key (USB) for months now. Any idea on what I can check/look for/do to get this taken care of?

Of course I start having this issue literally a day before I'm scheduled to start integration!
Old January 31st, 2018, 04:27 PM   #2
Steve Bailey
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Start by running Proficy License Viewer to see if it still recognizes your key. Does the key appear in Windows Explorer?
All Programs/Proficy Common/License Viewer. Be aware that it will look like nothing is happening for a long time after you launch License Viewer, maybe as much as a few minutes, so give it plenty of time.
Windows 7 or 10? The first version of PME to be officially certified to run under Windows 10 was 9.5 (I believe).
Old January 31st, 2018, 07:28 PM   #3
defcon.klaxon
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I did some additional messing around and it seems like if I move the USB key to a different port, that helps alleviate things. Not sure why that would matter but what I did notice was when I moved it around, Windows wanted to update the drivers for the hardware key software, and then after letting it sit for several minutes it's working as intended. Weird, but glad it's back to working. Oh to answer your question, I'm running 8.6 on Win 7.
Old January 31st, 2018, 08:08 PM   #4
Steve Bailey
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

I have also seen Windows have to update the driver for the license dongle. I don't know exactly when or why it happens. It may have something to do with Windows updates although I've never paid enough attention to notice if it happens after each Windows update.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum